Written by Chrysler Corporation, 1966. Provided by J.P. Joans. See The Dodge Brothers.
In 1914, an incredible 146 new makes went into production, but only one survives to this day: Dodge.
When brothers John and Horace Dodge announced a new car bearing their own name after many years of supplying Ford with engines and assemblies, even they must have been surprised at the response. More than 22,000 applications for dealer contracts swamped their offices, before anyone knew its price or shape.
The first Dodge, produced on
November 14, 1914,
cost $785, a four-cylinder on a 110-inch wheelbase.
See our review of a 1922 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
1927 DODGE BROTHERS FAST FOUR: In 1927, Dodge styling again made a big change with the debut of the “Fast Four” with a 108-inch wheelbase. With its light weight and 40 hp engine, the Fast Four had a top speed over 60 mph. The single-plate clutch was adopted in January, 1927, followed shortly after by Dodge's move to the standard SAE shift pattern transmission. Four-wheel brakes came in November.
1928 DODGE BROTHERS VICTORY SIX: The first year without a four-cylinder, Dodge Bros. now had two new sixes were added: the Victory Six on a 112-inch wheelbase, and the Standard Six on a 110-inch wheelbase. The Senior was put on a 120-inch wheelbase in July, 1928. Walter P. Chrysler acquired Dodge from Dillon, Read & Co. in a $170 million stock exchange merger, July 30, 1928.
1930 DODGE BROTHERS EIGHT, DC: Despite the Depression, Dodge unveiled its first eight-cylinder engine, in a 114-inch wheelbase car. The straight eight had a displacement of 220.7 cubic inches and had a downdraft carburetor. Another Dodge line, the Six, had a 109-inch wheelbase, one of the shortest ever made by Dodge.
1951-1952 DODGE CORONET, D-42: Body styling for both these years was identical. New Oriflow shock absorbers added a touch of velvet to the already smooth Dodge ride. The Sportabout, Dodge's postwar roadster, was discontinued after 1951. Instrument panels adopted a leather-grained finish to reduce glare.
See Dodge 1967-2014.
Early Dodge Brothers cars used a positive-ground 12-volt electrical system (with the battery’s positive terminal connected to the frame). The 6 volt system appeared in 1926 or 1927; if there was no letter or an A preceding the serial number, it was 12 volts. A letter other than A indicated 6 volts; B was essentially the A-car with 6 volts, C was similar but the engine had five main bearings, and D serials had the five main bearings, a new shifting pattern, the distributor on the head, and four-point motor support.
In 1926-27, the engine air intake was located over the exhaust manifold, presumably to heat the incoming air or to save space, with one port going through the block between the second and third cylinders; a second port goes to the intake valves. The carburetor connected to both of those openings. To drain the oil, there was a copper tube connecting the oil pan to the oil pump; it had to be loosened to drain the oil. In addition, the screen inside the flange had to be cleaned in solvent - that was the engine filter.
For more on Dodge Brothers cars, visit the Dodge Brothers club.
Is there an error on this page? Let us know and you could win a prize!
More Mopar Car and Truck News