Trenton Engine has built V8 engines, V6 engines, slant-six engines, and “Neon” 1.8 and 2.0 liter four-cylinder engines. At one time, Chrysler made Trenton, Michigan — a peaceful town not too far from Detroit — the home of an Amplex factory, a chemical plant, and a “friction materials” plant, as well as the engine plant.
The Trenton North Engine Plant started production in 1952, and was expanded in 1969; it was temporarily closed in May 2011, but one month later, Chrysler announced a $114 million to dedicate one-fifth (400,000 square feet) to make V6 components. On Nov. 15, 2012, Chrysler announced that it would invest another $40 million to add a flexible production line that can run both the Pentastar engine and the Tigershark four-cylinder engine. In 60 years, the plant, now 2.1 million square feet, has made over 38 million engines. Today (2013), it has around 800 employees.
In 2007, Chrysler announced a new 822,000-square-foot Trenton South engine plant, one of three built to make the new Pentastar V6. A duplicate facility in Saltillo, Mexico, was built afterwards, but reportedly has yet to come close to Trenton’s productivity. The stated annual capacity of the combined plants is 440,000 engines per year.
Trenton Engine plant pages at Allpar:
Techs and Workers
Is there an error on this page? Let us know and you could win a prize!
More Mopar Car and Truck News