NewsState of the Hemi, 2022 • Even Demon test cars live to be broken • FCA racks in NEMPA awards

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

05 won't start sometimes until negative terminal removed/replaced

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Erich, May 14, 2017.

1. Erich

Erich New Member

hello, I have a 2005 pt cruiser and it's mostly been ok but I started having starting problems and had the camshaft/crankshaft sensors replaced as most have this Problem I read and it fixed it for a while but now at random I will try to start and nothing no power, noise, nothing so I pulled the battery and replaced and it worked that time but of course it did it again. After many times trying different things new plugs etc.. still same only way to fix so far is reset computer by removing negative terminal from battery for a min then replace and it starts. Now it might do it again that day or next week or even next month that's how sparattic it is.
    So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

Have you tried cleaning the battery posts and clamps?
    Do this test: With engine off, measure the battery voltage, then turn on headlights and measure voltage between the negative battery post and negative battery clamp. Do the same for the positive battery post and positive battery clamp. Should not be more than 0.1 volts. If more than 0.3 volts, the problem is at that connection.
    Also do a load test on the battery.

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

If the posts have a hard scale build-up covering them, a wire brush may not remove it and they will need to be scraped off. You want to see shiny metal for the contact surfaces.
    Disconnecting a battery also erases any stored adaptive memory. If a sensor is so far out of whack that it has to skew the memorized threshold that far out of balance to run, then I would think that the car would run poorly all the time.

4. Erich

Erich New Member

First off thank you for the replies I am an electrician and a electronics expert so yes I have done all the generic tests on the battery it's actually a new battery cleaned everything up then he checked all the connectors etc.. the only thing I haven't been able to do is determine what sensor is causing the problem as it can take up to a month sometimes before it needs reset and other times I can reset it 3-4 times a day so that's what's so baffling about it. without going through every sensor I was hoping someone knew of something that I could look at or at least check but I will check that one voltage between The two terminals with the lights on again because it has been a while.

Thank-you

5. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

Pull the battery and check the grounds on the inside of the drivers fender. These sometimes get corroded by the battery gases and If you don't get a good clean ground connection. Well, you know, you're an electrician. But seriously, check there. There are two connectors on one ground plug. And I KNOW it's a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Have you tried swapping the relay with another one? They're all the same #.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

So, what did you get for the voltage drop across the post to terminal?

7. Erich

Erich New Member

I have a health condition so haven't been able to get outtside to do the test but. I will let you know as soon as I can