NewsNew Compass shipping soon • Compass: mpg, $$$ • Demon’s drag suspension: better launches

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1957 Nash spotted

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Nash, Willys' started by Scrounge, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Member

I also remember them. Very sharp-looking on the Magnum, and attractive on the St. Regis, too. They probably helped with wind flow.

I like how it looks as a hardtop. Interesting that it's value has risen so much. Perhaps because of its rarity, also because of its 327 V8 engine, which I think was available well into the 1960's in some Ramblers. The one I saw is a 4-door sedan, probably worth 4 figures.

Citation84 likes this.
  2. Citation84

Citation84 Member

Yes. My Grandmother had a 60 Ambassador wagon with 4 bbl carb. It would knock your head into the backseat when she floored it. My Mother said "I can feel the 'Gs".

A family legend. She'd leave rubber backing out of the driveway. I think the 327 was used until 66.

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Member

Nash used HydraMatic transmissions; so did Hudson. According to Wikipedia, so did other makes:

Hydramatic - Wikipedia

When AMC dropped the Nash and Hudson makes, did they develop their own automatic transmissions, or did they contract with someone else?

Citation84 likes this.
  4. 68RT

68RT Active Member

The eagle had a 988 Torqueflite. You can go to this page and research AMC and find a lot of that type of info here at ALLPAR.

All cars covered by Allpar

5. Citation84

Citation84 Member

I think AMC used Borg Warner for their automatics after the GM Hydra, Scrounge. Right up through MY 71. 72 MY was when AMC started producing their cars via the contract with Chrysler for the Torqueflite.

May have been earlier for Jeep. I hadn't even considered that.

Torqueflite was used in my parent's 72 Ambassador.

6. Scrounge

Scrounge Member

Looks like you're right, according to this:

List of AMC Transmission Applications - Wikipedia

Also according to it, the '57 I saw could have had a HydraMatic or a Borg Warner, but only a Borg Warner if it had a 287. That is, if it had an automatic.