NewsNew Compass shipping soon • Compass: mpg, $$$ • Demon’s drag suspension: better launches

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1977 Chrysler LeBaron 4-door base model owner.

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by 77LeBaron, Feb 3, 2017.

1. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Took the LeBaron on another 100 mile cruise and Today was the day indeed 60 miles from the house the HEATER CORE GAVE OUT ! I thought if the heater was not on I would exempt from that . Great thanks to God , a chance of fate ,or dumb luck happened I took the wrong turn to a Walmart when the temp gauge started towards the red . I pulled into this rural of the road home I thought abandoned, and a nice elderly gentleman came out and started to admire the car and said his dad worked the Chrysler dealership as a mechanic and knew those cars well he had a 1966 Charger in the back . He immediately cooled down the engine by hosing down the radiator and quickly bypassed the heater ! I was back on the road in 5 minutes ! The heater core box I presume has a drainage hole in the firewall and all the radiator fluid was shooting out of this rubber hose, I onle had a small amount in the driver/passenger side below the dash probably because I ran the heater hoping to shoot all the excess coolant out the now disconnected hoses. I will bide my time and find the best qualified place to do the repairs I heard that the A/C has to be disconnected for the heater box so it will be more complicated that I thought or am equipped to handle. The engine and tranny are getting stronger every drive hit the 600 mile mark this day , leaks are minimal the tranny leak is somewhere from the top area and the axle to transmission connection. Will keep my fellow M body fanatic's updated.

2. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Yes I did notice that in photos of the electric vs roller widow pictures and wondered if I could just find those electric window trim pieces the motors are so easy to come by at around $30-40 each. Is there much more modifications on the window channel ?

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

I've never converted one, but the difference internally is the whole regulator assembly and motor. You'd have to swap the internals of the power window door into yours.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

The drainage hose from the airbox is for the A/C condensate, but a leaky heater core will drain out there.
    The classic quick-fix for a leaking heater core is to bypass it by connecting the two heater hoses to each other.

5. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Now that my LeBaron is in heater bypass mode I am going to flush the system until clean and replace all hoses . I am not using a radiator flush , I have heard they can cause gasket leaks . Any mild solutions to use,I have heard people say vinegar, baking soda, CLR , etc.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  6. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

On more minor problem a screw which goes into the base of the mirror to keep the mirror from shaking is missing from my mirror, anyone know the size , or part number. I would hate to Gorilla glue the mirror to the metal base .

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

I find a Mopar part # of 6031094 for that screw (since discontinued). You can use that part # as a reference in your search. It is described as a pan-head tapping 0.19-16x0.375" screw.
    I see it listed in Arizonaparts inventory:
    Search Parts List
    Make sure that the threads are still OK in the mirror base and that they haven't been stripped out before buying the screw.

8. Scrounge

Scrounge Member

Nice car -- I see why you love it.

Sorry to read of your heater core going out while driving. Agreed, you were lucky to have found a Mopar enthusiast to help you. When you have the heater core replaced, you might ask the mechanic to trace the trans fluid leak. I don't think radiator flush is a problem, though you probably don't need it if you're going to thoroughly flush the system; clear water alone should work. The stop-leak additives are what should be avoided. But if your radiator is clogged, take it to a radiator shop to have it rodded out. Or replace it with a new one.

Regarding the seats, you might consider a seat cover to reduce wear. There's supposed to be a good Mopar junkyard in northern Alabama; if it still exists, you might make that destination one of your road trips. You might find your mirror screw there.

This is where Mopars go to die… | Roadtrippers

9. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Thanks ImperialCrown For the help. Just put 1000 miles on the LeBaron all sounds well minus the noted problems!

10. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Thankyou again Imperial Crown for all the parts numbers and expertise I have gotten all my needed parts minus my windshield which can wait for now until the repaint ! Good to be among M body friends !

11. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Are not the regular window assembly functional on the roll up or power motor setup with minor modifications?

12. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Not usually.

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I've never had an issue using any cooling system chemical flush.

14. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

With a car that old, the solder/braze joints are more vulnerable to chemical flushes than a newer car. I would only use gentle water pressure.

15. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Thankyou Bob Lincoln that is what I shall do I had a car before I used a flush on and my water pump seals went . Good news on all fronts I have found all my missing or damaged trim pieces , and have the complete 1977 Shop Manuel and Supplemental manual.