NewsWho makes the “most American” vehicles? • Meet the upgraded 2018 Durangos • Rumored Challenger Hellcat Widebody: it’s real

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 brake lights

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by wolvewalker, Dec 20, 2016.

1. wolvewalker

wolvewalker New Member

2001 pt cruiser stop lights do not come on when depressing brake. rear running light light up but brake lights do not work in fenders. replaced the brake switch and tryed bulbs that i know both elements work and still no brake lights. back window brake light does come on

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. If the 3rd brake light works properly, then the brake switch is OK. Any trailer towing harness or other rear wiring modifications?
    Is there power at the rear bulb socket connectors at the Wt/Tn wire when the brake pedal is pushed? Is the Bk wire a good ground to the body?
    If there is no power, move towards the front of the car to find out where the power ends. There are intermediate connectors and splices that could have opened.
    Rear lighting wiring diagram is shown in section 8Wa-51 here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2001_PT_PTCruiser/01PTE.PDF

3. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

Remove the bulbs and check the sockets for rust and corrosion. The PT's don't have the greatest seals around the sockets and this can often be the cause of the problem. If you are patient, you can remove and clean them yourself. It they're too rusty, you can buy replacements. Good luck with it.

4. wolvewalker

wolvewalker New Member

thank you Imperial Crown and chuzz fixed the problem yesterday afternoon. more of what i have forgotten and you all reminded me. thanks and Merry Christmas

ImperialCrown likes this.
  5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

From the sounds of it the sockets were probably corroded or dirty. So he either cleaned them up or replaced the sockets.

7. wolvewalker

wolvewalker New Member

8. wolvewalker

wolvewalker New Member

it was more my stupidity than anything else. back in 80's i was in the used car rental and sales. ad apparrently with age and time i have lost more than i gained. long story short. i knew it was the switch so i got up early and picked one up. daughters car comes to me and i install the switch misunderstanding the instructions i ruin the new switch. now i am joining allpar so i can ask for assistance. i was also communicating with a dodge service manager. He was the one that told me first new switch was installed wrong so i went and got another and go to daughters house to install switch. i make sure i install correctly and i was back where i started only center light coming on. i get up the next day and it was like i was back into the 80s remembering all that i have forgotten along with reading the threads that came back. so i go back to daughters house and started doing what i needed to do all along and that was completely checking a wire to make sure I had juice. after checking i replaced both bulbs, one on each side and she has brake lights. I think i started out wrong with lack of knowledge on the pt but when i went back to basics it all came together. thank you all and Merry Christmas

djsamuel, chuzz and ImperialCrown like this.
  9. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I was behind a kid in a Canyon pickup yesterday with just the 3rd light working. Since we were stopped for road construction, I got out and walked up to his window and let him know. He didn't have a clue and thanked me. He said he'd get his daddy to check them out for him! I told him to start with the fuse and went back to the PT. Some kids! Anyway, at least your daughter is a little safer now than she was.

10. wolvewalker

wolvewalker New Member

thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your family just remember this old saying concerning the kid in the canyon you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink