NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 PT HEAD GASKET

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Fullpass, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Fullpass

Fullpass Member

Time will tell...Car running great...but did find this out...Had been a one owner car, maybe a 5 mile daily drive, older lady, garage keep...no visual rust on this car on the outside or under neath, interior near mint, limited amount of aging, still looks like new. Car had some preventive maintenance, changed out thermostat & coolant...Problem didn't show up until she took the car out of town 45 miles away...car over heated, pulled over, she got a tow, like you said they quoted her $1500.00 to 2,000 for repair..possible head gasket...plus. Not wanting to invest more in an older car, she just went out and bought a new car...age of car etc...miles 100K...Now I just started from scratch, remained optimistic..trying not to worry about the "what if factor" first cleaned flushed/rinsed radiator, running engine with just water, and drain a few times...Then pulled radiator, power washed, also trans cooler, AC condenser..all power washed...I did notice THREE MAYBE FOUR POSSIBLE PROBLEMS WITH PREVIOUS REPAIR... First, AS I changed the coolant, was green...maybe the coolant had be mixed with the Mopar brand...Second, bleeding the system near the thermostat neck...The bleed bolt was pretty much frozen, used liquid wrench, and one of the wrenches that wraps 3/4 away around the bleed bolt to break loose...also the two bolts on the plastic neck near thermostat, needed snugged up...coolant weeping at base of neck. Thinking the engine had not been bleed after new coolant change, because of the frozen bleed bolt...air must have been trapped in the system, causing the overheat when she went out town the 45 miles distance ~ the 5 mile daily drive must have not bothered the car, causing the overheat to show up later...Now this car is in amazing looking for its age...I had bought an after market radiator cap...had been suggested to buy OEM Mopar radiator Cap...did this today...New was a 17psi cap, NOW HMM, I COMPARED THE NEW CAP TO THE OLD CAP...DIDNT LOOK THE SAME AT ALL...THE ONE ON THE CAR WAS STAMPED METAL...THEN STARTED LOOKING AT THE THERMOSTAT MORE...now this car is sqeeky clean car... the thermostat removed was old, coolant green baked on the spring, and metal surfaces...the gaskets on the cap old dried cracked...the sealing surface of the rubber indented very bad...no way was this the cap that had been on the car when taken in for the repair...like I said...not a dealer repair...was an outside recommended source..I actually believe they must have wanted the car...or charge a big repair bill for a cap...or maybe they lost the origanal cap, but still didn't bleed...I feel bad for the lady...she got screwed by a bad job...Dono if I should tell her, she could barely afford the new car...and eating a lot less to make the payments. Will drive for 30 days...Still looks good, then the car could use some new struts up front... The car would have been traded N to the Honda dealer...she would have bought another car from Chrysler, but thought they didn't hold up.

2. Fullpass

Fullpass Member