NewsNew Compass shipping soon • Compass: mpg, $$$ • Demon’s drag suspension: better launches

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016-17 and beyond JGC shifter

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by DirtyLarry, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Active Member

What do you NOT like about the shift paddles?

They do NOT work properly?

-OR-

You don't use them, and find they just get in the way? (that I can see, many people never shift an automatic manually, having paddles on the steering wheel that get in the way or accidentally bumped and actuate a shift not wanted, could be a PITA, in that case the shifter having the ability bump up/down a gear is preferable, for the rare occasion, like engine braking down a mountainside).

2. LouJC

LouJC Member

I drove 3 different JGCs with the monostable shifter and had no problem with any of them. Maybe because I learned to drive in the old days when the key would come out even if the shifter of an auto trans was not in park. Or if you drove a standard shift, you had to remember to leave it in gear and put on the parking brake. Oh horrors, having to think and pay attention. How quaint and difficult at the same time.
    Back in the old days, for manuals we had 3 speed manuals, 4 speed manuals, 5 speed manuals and Nissan sold one on the FWD Datsun 310 that was different from every other 5 speed on the road. No bleating and howling that I recall...
    PS if I were an engineer, I would not have designed it the way they did, I'd have made the shifter stay in the position that the gear 'should' be in based on past designs. But even though I've driven cars with conventional shifters since 1972, all I had to do was look at the shifter quadrant in the dash cluster to see what gear I was in. Just like driving an auto trans with a column mounted shifter. Remember those?
    Oh and the Fords that used to slip from park into reverse, back in the 70s, I had one of those too, never had a problem with it either. The recall? It was as sticker lol!

Too bad that technology has the effect it does on people. Making them more lazy and careless.

wtxiceman likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

It's nothing new.
    Why did Chrysler do away with push button automatics after 1964?
    Why did GM drop the P-N-D-L-R pattern?
    Not that much different back then than it is now.

4. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 Member Level 2 Supporter

I cannot believe people are still talking about this shifter?

5. LouJC

LouJC Member

I believe that back in the 60s a standard gear position was mandated for automatics (prndl). But the CC push button design used these gear positions; they changed it themselves to make CC cars more acceptable for former GM & Ford owners..

6. W6PEA

W6PEA "Old Jarhead" Level 2 Supporter

The paddles on the steering wheel are in the way. Glad I can de-activate them.

7. page2171

page2171 Member

The only dead horse that gets beat more than this shifter is FCA discontinuing the 200 and Dart.

wtxiceman and Doug D like this.
  8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Hey, this is Allpar. We beat everything to death and then some. :rolleyes:

BobbiBigWheels, W6PEA and page2171 like this.
  9. W6PEA

I have a friend that had a 63 Dodge Dart it was his father go to work beater. It's now his go to work beater. Slant 6 and push button Torqueflite transmission. The floor board has more holes in it than a kitchen strainer.

He bought a new Jeep Cherokee 4x2. Sold the Dodge Dart to some Marine a MCAS Miramar.

10. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

Yes, the de-activation is a good feature for many. I actually have found myself accidentally triggering the paddles when playing with the steering wheel mounted audio controls. I will say also, the paddles are a blast for ripping around though.

Rick Anderson likes this.
  11. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 Member Level 2 Supporter

I love the paddles..instant response!

12. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

In the ZF 8HP the hydraulic fluid is controlled by solenoids, should be 8, some on/off type and most force variable solenoids.
    There is a "mechanical" solenoid to control park hold.
    ATRA webminar slides for ZF8HP
    http://www.atra.com/Webinars/Import/ZF8HP_Introduction.pdf

and this one for the 948TE
    http://www.atra.com/Webinars/Chrysler/948TE_Introduction.pdf

The shifter is only an electric/electronic interface that gives input commands to transmission control module, per se is not part of the transmission.
    In theory it could be a voice activated shifter, touchscreen, ...

For the ones that doesn't like "by wire" systems, don't get close to an Alfa Romeo Giulia since You'll find a "brake by wire system" (sourced by Continental).
    Very likely will be used in future Dodge and Jeep models too.

13. W6PEA

That is the main reason I do not like the shift paddles on the steering wheel but they are good. Also the fact that you can deactivate them.