NewsNew 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap • Mopar dominates Funny Car, sets records

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 fastest police cars

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by Fast Eddie, Nov 6, 2016.

1. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Member

I was being facetious, my apologies. No ill will intended.

I could add that "Pursuit-Rated" certs didn't actually exist back in the day. That's more of a testing requirement/specification used by MSP and LASD in their annual tests. My understanding is that it was largely "run what ya brung" back in the day. Sure, the 69 Mopes were quick, and topped out in the mid 140's, But, with their short gears, lousy fuel economy, and little bias-ply tires, those cars never would've seen the consistent high speeds we started seeing from Mother beginning in '05.

I guess to summarize where I was going with the BOF vs unit-body discussion is that most Ford fans point at the Panther's BOF construction as superior to unitized, and that just isn't the case (which we all know here). The frame on a Panther is a space frame, not a ladder frame like we see on a truck. Panthers had a nasty tendency to fold up in bad wrecks, especially from the rear. LX and LD's do very well in comparison. Ease of repair is also a myth. I'd argue an LD is easier under nearly every scenario.

Chrysler takes a lotta hits for the design of the LD's, but they're very, very good cars. We should be thankful we still have RWD and V8 engines.

2. Muther

Muther Active Member

I think that once the "shift" is complete, and lots of models, mostly SUV/CUV, are much less capacity constrained, that FCA will go after more law enforcement/fleet sales with their SUV/CUV pruloducts.

There are a number of great choices now, and in the pipeline, that are already much better than the competition (All of the Jeeps, Dodge Durango). However, looking at things from a top down perspective, why would you want to sacrifice part of your production capacity for lower margins (fleet) sales, when your capacity is already sold out using higher margin retail sales?

What do y'all think?

The SRT Durango would seem like a real natural for pursuit conversion? So would just about all of the Jeeps. Imagine a JLU pursuit/police version? Its (as yet to be fully determined) new roof structure could make it much more appealing to certain law enforcement communities.

3. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Member

The Ram and Durango SSV's (sales code AHV) have been on the market since 2011. Capacity is the limiting factor, as discussed in other threads. I don't think there's any question that a Pursuit-Rated Durango would take out the Exploder, especially if they can get it priced right.

They key thing to consider about LEV's, regardless of make, is that these vehicles are built and marketed for very specific purposes, and only to those customers:

A Charger Pursuit is (now) North America's ultra-high performance LEV.
    The Exploder is a high performance SUV. It offers extra storage, at the expense of speed, handling, and braking.
    The Tahoe, Expedition, and pickups are higher performance vehicles that offer off-road capabilities.

So unlike 20, or even 10 years ago, today's LEV's have defined missions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

If discussing the Explorer Utility; the Durango would trump it, even if discussing repairs if nothing else.

I've heard horror stories about the trannys letting loose in the Utility.

AHBGuru likes this.
  5. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Member

Transfer cases, as well.

What is interesting about the Ram/Durango AHV's is the use of the 845RE or 8HP90. Is the 8-spd TF coming to the Charger Pursuit anytime soon? The A580 is certainly very tough, and that's probably why it's still being used ... but it's either a cost issue or just plain stubbornness (on the part of fleet managers) that the equally durable 8-spds aren't used in the cars. Heck, even if they only averaged a half-mile per gallon better than the 5-spd, that's quite a bit of fuel saved, along with increased performance.

To be fair, the squads are truly a very different animal, and I can understand the overwhelming desire not to mess with what works. I will say it's great that they have been making continuous improvements. That wasn't the case 25 or 30 years ago, for example, with the M-Bodies.

Dave Z likes this.
  6. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

M bodies: they were slated to go away ca 1983 so; the fact they lasted an additional 5-6 years was a miracle unto itself. What really killed them was the same thing that ended the Chevy Caprice in 1996 and the Ford CVPI in late 2011; too high a percentage of fleet sales vs retail sales since the former have essentially no markup.

7. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Member

The yearly announcements from Iaccoca about the dim future of the M-Bodies certainly didn't help, especially in '88/89. TBI on the Chevy's in '89 pointed a new direction for all squads to come, as technology would soon filter down to the most stalwart of traditions in fleets. Prime example: the '91 Ford 351 Interceptors still used a 2bbl VV carb. A year later, the CVPI appeared in mid-'92.

Odd thing about retail to fleet sales, it did help kill the M's and B body Caprice, but the P7B Fords did well enough from '08 - '11, solely on fleet sales, until the new LD Charger finished it off.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

That's because they had no competition. M bodies had to fight the Caprice and CV. Caprice had to fight the CV. CV stood alone.

Did they need the factory space for anything?