Allpar Forums banner

3.0 V6

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  John Wood 
#1 ·
Anyone replaced their fuel injectors?

My '94 Shadow ES runs like crap. No power. Coughs & spudders. The power loss is so great it's enough to get you killed in traffic.

I was having the problem once I drove a few miles from a cold start, the transmission would down shift, the engine felt like it lost 2 or 3 cylinders, and the loss of power would begin. If I was using the cruise I had to shut it off immediately. The engine would re-start, and eventually the power loss would go away.

My father passed away the night before Thanksgiving. My job gave me a week off, so I used that time to replace the water pump and timing belt. NOT my first experience here. When I got everything back together the power loss would not go away. Yes, I'm certain I got the timing marks right when I replaced the timing belt.

I tried new plugs. (no help)
I tried a throttle position sensor. (not help)
I looked for moisture under the distributor cap. (didn't find any)
I re-checked all electrical connections and hoses twice.

From comments made on the internet and TV I decided to try new injectors. But, I can not get the old ones (originals) out of the intake. I had the fuel rail loose, but the old injectors will not budge.

PS. the car has 216,XXX miles on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Some other information.

About 2010 I replaced the fuel pump. I got one from Chrysler. I only found out after I paid for the pump it's a re-man part. I was not happy since it cost me $500.

Ever since then, you could not run the gauge below 1/4 tank or the engine would run out of gas.

A while later the car developed an issue where if you wanted the engine to run sooner then later. You had to use starting fluid. Or set there and crank it several times. Like the engine was flooding.

I just happened to think. It might be a good idea to replace the fuel pressure regulator since I have the plenum off.

#3 ·
Check the wiring harness at the rear of the engine. Heat from the exhaust crossover tube will cook wiring and hoses after a few years. I have found wiring laying on top of the exhaust pipe.
Any 'lean' fault codes? Fuel pressure OK (when its acting up)?
The injector o-rings have probably hardened. The injectors may need to be broken out, but I'm not convinced that the injectors are the problem.

#4 ·
I'm not convinced it's the injectors either. Agree with IC about removing the rail and then prying the injectors out, the O-rings are most likely hardened and being a pain. A little leverage may be needed to remove. Any chance, other than the fuel pressure, of intake vacuum leaks? What about a compression test just to make sure things are working well in that department.

#8 ·
I suspect the injector o-rings have hardened up and are brittle where the insert into the intake. That is why they are stuck in there.

I really doubt that injectors is causing the power loss problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.