NewsThe minivan that just won’t die • Spotted: the terms for Demon owners • Ram vs “rest of FCA” in JD Power

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.6 Pentistar cylinder head problems

Discussion in 'Technical Support & Help' started by mrkovash, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:22 AM.

1. mrkovash

mrkovash New Member

My brother and sister in law own a 2015 T&C with the 3.6/6 speed auto combination. They are from a family of ford owners, and with my wife's focus consuming an shocking amount of oil after 127k miles, i am more then happy to attempt to convert them to the mopar way. However, two weeks ago, they had a problem with their 2015 minivan. It gave a code that indicated a misfire of the #5 cylinder, along with running rough. This necessitated a cylinder head replacement.

is there any cylinder head issues with that vintage pentistar V6? I would love to think of this as some sort of freak accident, however after reading one thread within this forum of a jeep that was basically having the same issue, i am rather curious. The dealer has stated that this is a common issue with that motor.

Thanks

2. PCRMike

PCRMike Active Member

It was a common issue for a short stint back in 2011 or so, but revisions have made it very rare today.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

It’s a freak accident. I haven’t heard of that happening since the 2011s all got it.

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Member

Some of the heads made a the mexico plant have been defective, post cylinder head revisions.

5. mrkovash

mrkovash New Member

So some of the heads made out of the Mexico plant have been defective as well?

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Member

Yes. As per my DM the cylinder head issues were a manufacturing problem at the Mexico facility only. The Canadian and US facilities didn't have the issue. Manufacturing was revised to fixed the issue, but QC was still causing some issues out of the Mexico plant after the revisions.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 8:34 PM
  7. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Member

How Can a 2016 caravan owner find out where his 3.6 was made?

8. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Member

You will need to find the vin code on the engine or any casting numbers on the block or heads. Then decode them.

9. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

The window sticker says.