NewsNew Compass shipping soon • Compass: mpg, $$$ • Demon’s drag suspension: better launches

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 speed auto in the Promaster

Discussion in 'Vans' started by voiceofstl, Dec 21, 2016.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Member

Its the same 6 speed thats in the Caravan but is it "special" with heavy duty parts since the promaster will carry so much more wieght??????

2. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Active Member

It's not special as far as I know. A loaded ProMaster is within a couple thousand pounds of a loaded Caravan. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Member

I don't have the numbers but a long wheel base 3500 Promaster with a load has got to be 4 times heavier then a Caravan.

4. page2171

page2171 Member

From the Ram website, the larget Promaster 3500 weighs 5000 lbs with a GVWR of 9350 lbs. From Edmunds, the Grand Caravan has a curb weight of 4500 lbs with a GVWR of 6050 lbs.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The Hyundai Powertech 6-speeds come in 3 capacities from small torque to large torque capablities.
    6F17, 6F26 and 6F40.
    From what I have heard from the service techs at my Ram Commercial dealer, is that it is a robust transaxle and has given excellent service so far.

6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Member

The Caravan and the Promaster uses the Mopar 62TE transmission.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

I stand corrected. Sorry I was thinking of the new transaxle.
    I would think that the 62TE is probably about at it's limits in the Promaster application. The compounder clutch failures of the past seem to have gotten much better and some software updates recently address harsh shifting issues.
    I imagine with suitable cooling and software, the 62TE does OK behind the torque of the Pentastar in a heavy vehicle.
    The Chrysler 62TE automatic transmission (transaxle)

The Promaster City has the 2.4L and 9-speed.

Dave Z likes this.
  8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

How has the PMC been performing with the 9-Speed?

I've only driven the 9-Speed once for one weekend trip with a late '15 C200 I4 / 9-Speed combination (~ 30K miles on the clock - around 900 miles of use round-trip ), and it did well with the combination of country/highway driving as well as in-city freeway traffic ... some of which was stop-n-go.

Any background to share?