NewsNew 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap • Mopar dominates Funny Car, sets records

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 speed service

Discussion in 'Technical Support & Help' started by wtxiceman, Feb 9, 2017.

1. manybrews

manybrews Member

Theres a difference. The 604 was a piece of trash. It could have been filled with magic, and half would have failed.
    Changing the fluid every week on a 604 was not really going to extend its life.
    We're talking about a properly engineered and assembled modern transmission vs. a cheaply engineered and built 30 year old unit.

The fact is that ZF transmissions will almost always last the life of the car without a need to be serviced.
    Im not saying to NOT service it... it certainly wont hurt anything. But its not 100% necessary. The engineers know that changing the fluid has not inherently extended the life of their transmissions.

Of course, change it if it gives comfort! Piece of mind is definitely worth something.

2. KOG

KOG KOG

By 1994 the 604 was near bulletproof. Iaccoa pushed it into production before engineering said it was ready. It was the first all clutch, no band electronic transmission and everything else in the world has followed that pattern since. Chrysler was also ahead of VW/ZF with dual clutch transmission, but Daimler killed that project as soon as they took over.

voiceofstl, PCRMike and Doug D like this.
  3. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Member Level III Supporter

Yes it doesn't sound like a good time. But I just can't fathom the idea of never servicing it.

Crawdaddy likes this.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Member

Get you a hand pump from the autoparts store for the fluid. Leave the hose in the fill plug while it warms up and you won't have to work around hot exhaust.

wtxiceman likes this.
  5. PCRMike

PCRMike Active Member

The three I have had were awesome. 1994 with 50K changes went 280K when I traded it in. 1998 Breeze lasted 136K (never changed) before a wafer bearing went out after a 2300 mile emergency run home at over 100 MPH. Third was a 2006 Sebring that is still clicking along after 170K with 50K changes.

6. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Active Member

I remember reading an excerpt of the FSM for changing the fluid on the ZF 8Spd AWD, and there was a step procedure to use the Dealer WiTech to operate/activate something for some reason to do with the front driveshaft. I don't know if its a step that can skipped without consequence or if there is a work around for it.

7. manybrews

manybrews Member

well, yeah.. By 95 they had been updated so much they were hardly the same transmission. Unfortunately, the original owners (89-90) were the ones that suffered the most. I can virtually guarantee if any of those cars are still around, none of them still have the original transmissions. Which is an epic fail for chrysler.

8. PCRMike

PCRMike Active Member

But for but for a number of years, they were still the A604. The blanket statement that was made earlier about virtually all the a604 were crap was not so. The early ones were. The reengineering that took place on them had to do with strengthening certain parts and improving in some areas that they should have have right in the first place. Many of the newer Parts would fit in place of the older Parts, therefore, it was an updated version of the same transmission. The design itself was not bad, the original implementation of it was. Sorry to split hairs, but I just wanted to clarify on the blanket statement that was made that all a604 is were junk.

9. manybrews

manybrews Member

I know exactly which parts were upgraded, which in fact was over half the transmission.
    Look, the 604s were crap. Total crap for the first 2 years for sure. It took about 4-5 to say they were actually good transmissions, and by then they had renamed them 41te (or whatever).

They got decent around 93. They were good around 95 and up.