NewsAt last, the Demon price • New 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

88 Daytona Shelby Z Lemons Race Car

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by Naking, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Naking

Naking Member

I own a 88 Daytona Shelby Z that I raced at Barber last weekend in the 24 hours of Lemons endurance race. We battled over heating issue all day until she finally got to hot and started knocking. I was looking for some good ways to keep her cool.

I also would like to try and get more power out of her once i can keep here cool. We want to try and get more boost out of the turbo. I am up for any help.

thanks,

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

Those will be conflicting goals to some extent. Cooling will get more power, but boosting the turbo will generate more heat.

Is the intercooler setup intact and working?

Some have reported success by reworking the fascia with a shield behind it to direct airflow better onto the radiator.

3. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Member

Bob please correct me if I am wrong but I think cooling systems are somewhere around 40 % effective at cooling.

I have a friend who owned a Mitsu Eclipse and he saturated the cooling system and the car over heated with an extended trip at 100 + mph. He had the turbo glowing a dull red color.

I agree the more airflow through the radiator the better by removing any obstructions to the airflow and maybe some sort of ducting other ways of guiding more air into the radiator. And maybe some vents in the hood to let the hot air out so as to not have all the incoming air not have an escape route which might cause a lose in traction at high speeds.
    Redline makes a water wetter product to improve cooling which is either added or used in place of coolant.

4. moparguru

moparguru New Member

Have you ventured over to the Turbo-Mopar.com Forums where we (other turbo Mopar enthusiasts) hang out for advice and other tech help? From 10 sec Omnis and Daytonas to stock and raced turbo Minivans, you should be able to find help there.

5. CudaPete

CudaPete Active Member Ad-Free Member

Change to a 180 deg thermostat. Stock is 195. This will help keep oil temp down too. Use a Diesel rated oil.

6. bamman

bamman Part Connoisseur

7. PCRMike

PCRMike Active Member

Common sense stuff. I put an oil cooler on my turbo Caravan for DD use. The rad is designed for street use. Plastigauge works fine. User error. Improper troubleshooting of the issue at hand. And it is "LeMans", not lemons. Some basic race type prep would have gone a long way here.

8. bamman

bamman Part Connoisseur

In this case it is LeMons....

It's a budget endurance race where you cannot exceed a certain price on your vehicle and the one handicap is that you have to run pure water in the cooling system, not coolant.

9. PCRMike

PCRMike Active Member

My honest apologies. I had not heard of it. Sounds cool though. I was wondering what classes were involved, and why someone would ship it across the ocean. Thank you for the clarification. It makes sense now.