NewsBehind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

auto transmission fluid change

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Charlie Harper, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Charlie Harper

Charlie Harper New Member

Watched a few YouTube videos on how to change auto trans fluid and none of them mentioned draining the torque converter. Why? I have allways done this on other trans service.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

There is no drain plug on the torque converter, Chrysler hasn't used one for years.

Doug D likes this.
  3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

I think that the T/C drain plug went away in the early '70's. I do remember them.
    The service manual procedure still recommends the pan drop and filter change as opposed to the 'flush' or ATF-transfusion machine service.
    This gives you a chance to inspect the debris in the pan and/or chip magnet for wear or damage.
    Always use ATF+4 meeting Chrysler MS-9602 on most modern transaxles. No additives should be necessary or are recommended.

4. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

I agree with the other guys. Mopar hasn't had a drain plug on a torque converter since the 70's. And ATF+4 is the ONLY fluid you put in that trans. The easy part of the change is the filter. It snaps into place into the valve body. You have to be firm with it and make sure it is tight. You don't want it falling out on you. On the PT forum where I'm also a member, I've read about some guys having a problem with the trans filter in the kits they've been getting from Advance and Autozone. I got mine at O'Reilly and it fit perfectly. After the fluid and filter change, I noticed mine seemed to shift a little crisper. Maybe just my imagination?

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Or maybe not your imagination. Fluids do 'wear out'. The additives that come blended in the fluid do lose effectiveness. ATF also has huge temperature and hydraulic shear stresses on it.
    Fault code P0897 means that the TCM has determined that the ATF has worn out to a point where it really needs to be changed. I have never let it get that bad:
    P0897 OBD-II Trouble Code: Transmission Fluid Deteriorated | YourMechanic Advice

6. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

Thanks for that info, IC. Being the fourth owner of this GT, I can tell you it's been through hell at some point in time. Seems like every time I get under it I notice something else that's bent just a little bit. BUT, she runs great and tracks straight, so it's mostly just cosmetics now.

7. Charlie Harper

Charlie Harper New Member