NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Temp. Sensor ?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by gsmceads, Jan 27, 2017.

1. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

Hello everyone. I have a 2006 PT Cruiser and I am having the same problem as many others with the battery light coming on. I have checked everything and even replaced the battery. I can find no problem. I have read about the battery temp sensor on other posts and I see it on the electrical schematic in my Haynes book, but when I removed the battery I just have a hole in the tray, no sensor there and I don't see anything under or around the area. I was told that it might not have the sensor, does anyone know if it should be there? Thanks

2. Gerry G

Gerry G Member

If the light is on there is likely a diagnostic code being set. A good code reader will be able to pull it and it will give you a better indication of the problem being detected. Most auto parts stores have code readers that read more than just emissions codes, e.g. abs, transmission. I have found that the battery lamp points to the alternator being suspect.

3. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

I guess to add to this I am also having various other electrical anomalies; the rear hatch switch (to open) sometimes doesn't work, and the wipers just quit working in intermittent and low (only getting 10 volts to the motor) I jumped 12 volts to the low speed wire and the motor works. Strangely enough, I was trying to see which fuse powered this and pulled every fuse (1 at a time) while reading the high speed wire and never lost power, even though the Haynes book shows it as being fused. I'm not sure if any of this has been messed with before as I bought it used. Other than these things the car runs very good and I am overall happy with it.

4. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

I have code P063A. I have read the battery voltage and running it is around 14.2 -14.6, and not running around 12.6ish. Thanks for the super quick reply!

5. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

2006 is the first year model with the TIPM controller. You should still have an inside fuse box that you need to check for fuses. I don't know if the battery temp sensor would cause that stuff, but my 03 does have the battery sensor and I have no problems with it. It just snaps in. A lot of 06 owners have had zero problems and others have had a multitude. The TIPM's are on back order for everyone that wants a Mopar one. You MIGHT find one on ebay or amazon, if you need one, but you'll probably pay a premium price. Be prepared, if you can't find a fuse or broken wire.

6. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

OK, that is good to know, I didn't even look inside for a fuse box. I will try to search that out today. Thanks.

7. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

06 was a change from the 1st gen PT's, so I can't be sure, but on my 03, the fuse box is by my left knee if I'm sitting in the drivers seat. I'll bet yours is in the same vicinity.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Haynes manuals may not tell the truth. They try to be too generic and it shows. It can be misleading in some cases when trying to diagnose a problem.
    There is a TSB # 18-007-07 for a PCM flash for this erroneous fault code. You should make sure that you have this update before continuing any further with diagnosis:
    http://www.dixie-electric.com/tsb/TSB_852.pdf

9. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

Thanks, I have seen this on several other posts. I don't have a sticker any where under my hood so I am assuming that this hasn't been done.

10. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The 'authorized software update' labels can be forgotten or fall off.
    80f34528.jpg
    80bb0a94.jpg
    The service desk may be able to reach back into the vehicle's service history to see if the bulletin has been done or not (it is not a recall). They just need the last 8 characters of the VIN, current mileage and the first 4 letters of your (owners) last name.

11. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

Thanks. I called the dealership and they said it is $70.00 and I don't need an appointment. I will get in there Tuesday morning.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  12. pt006

pt006 Member

There is no battery temp sensor for 2006 [and later?]. They use the ambient air temp sensor instead. It is located between the grille and AC condenser.

All the fuses are located under the cover of the TIPM . Be sure it is carefully located when closing it. It must be water tight.

Your charging voltage is good. Check for corrosion of the connections/terminals. Also, some have had problems with the ground wires at the left front inner fender. [2 ground screws]

The tailgate not always opening is likely due to the switch itself. It is of poor quality and fragile, and stupid money to replace.

The wiper motor wires disappear into the TIPM. It's Chryslers way of saying "Come on back".

13. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

Thanks for all the input. I did look for another fuse box in the car and it does appear that under the hood is the only one. I think getting the software flash will be a good start, I know that everything is operating correctly (except the wipers) so I'm not overly concerned right now. If I don't find anything else with the wipers I might just wire in another switch for low speed.

14. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

I had the TSB done this morning. It seems to have corrected the battery light problem (knock on wood) so far. Also, the wipers are working again in low and intermittent. Really is aggravating though, that Chrysler knows there is a problem with the software and makes customers pay for the correction. $70.99 for the .5 hour labor and $10.00 for misc. parts (that weren't even there). Kind of like if, Microsoft sold you Windows 11 and after your computer quite working right, they said, we will fix our software for an extra charge. Just unethical. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Hopefully the light is a thing of the past. It does seem to be idling smoother now also.

15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, it stinks, but depending on when the TSB was issued, it would have been covered under warranty if your vehicle was eligible. Last time I had my '06 Ram 1500 (~237K miles) in (driver's side airbag) they told me there was a # of flash updates for the PCM and TCM and the radio. For $80 they could take care of them. $80 was not a bad deal for 4-5 flashes. I declined since I didn't have the extra $$ at the time.