NewsThe minivan that just won’t die • Spotted: the terms for Demon owners • Ram vs “rest of FCA” in JD Power

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car thefts and duplicate keys

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by Dave Z, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Analysis. A criminal gang which has stolen at least 150 Jeep Wranglers since 2014 has been caught in California, but their modus operandi leaves questions about dealerships and FCA’s oversight. The gang members chose a target car, then obtained a duplicate key from a dealership in San Lucas, Mexico, all without the owners ever being informed, according to […]
    Read the whole post here.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

It is hard to identify and break up a gang when they are all working in a business together. Any duplicate keys made at our dealer for a customer requires ID and proof of ownership of that vehicle.
    Coding the key to the vehicle requires the vehicle to be present, a repair order document to be written up with all the pertinent information and signed by the customer.
    I can see where this type of crime can happen fairly easily and it can happen in any business. Vehicle anti-theft measures have advanced greatly through electronics, but so have the crooks with the proper tools.
    Vehicle theft is prosecuted harshly around here, as it should be.

Dave Z likes this.
  3. Rickorino

Rickorino Member

There is a large dealer near me who didn't catch on to the swindle until SIX WEEKS LATER when they did inventory! I almost fell out of my chair.