Allpar Forums banner

Carlisle 2013

11K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  Bob Lincoln 
#1 ·
So this year -- I was thinking, maybe we should swap the "trophy run" for a "video run." In short, we have a designated interviewer (NOT me) talk briefly with each person who signs up, and we post the results on our allparcom YouTube channel. We could also take some of these cars and make them "cars of the month" through the rest of the year, especially if the owners can move them out onto emptier areas of the field ... maybe on Sunday.

I was also wondering if I could get a volunteer to set up banners and such on Thursday night or early Friday morning... thinking of coming in on Friday afternoon instead of Thursday, and staying a bit later on Sunday to do the photography/filming.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I will likely be there on Thursday afternoon and can help set up.

I vote for Bob O'Neill to interview, he has a great personality for it. One of us can take over to interview him.

The Best Western in Middletown worked out fine for a few of us, and was very affordable and clean, but if we can get closer for under $100 a night in a clean, safe hotel, I'm sure more people would cluster.

#4 ·
I usually go I-84 to I-81 on the way out, and I-78 to I-287 on the way home. But I can take the latter route out if that helps. It's flatter and a little shorter.

#6 ·
I'll only have one suitcase and one small carton of cleaning supplies (about 12" square) in the cargo area of my Daytona. I can lay the seats down flat and have some decent room.

#8 ·
People, it's time to book hotels and register. Last year 3 or more of us were at the Best Western in Middletown. That's almost 25 miles out, but right next to I-76 turnpike for easy access. Anyone wanting to cluster in a closer hotel, please post your suggestions so that we can get going on this.

Also, we'd like input on topics for Saturday's mini-class (1 hour or less near lunchtime under the tent). Past topics have been diagnostics, sensor functions and diagnostics. We might be able to do a carb rebuild this year. Please let us know. Thanks.

Show is Friday, July 12 - Sunday, July 13, 2013. The Allpar tent will be assembled late Thursday afternoon in whatever location we are given. Some of us are arriving then. Register using Allpar or Allpar.com as your club; we need at least 25 members to get a tent, I believe. Registration is open now, and can be done online up to June 10. This allows you to drive right in and skip the cluster of people registering at the gate. The price is up by $15 this year to $55.

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/events/chrysler-nationals/

#10 ·
Ok, I just paid for my registration! This will be my first year attending Carlisle, or any car show for that matter. Now I just need to look for a hotel and eventually get my car detailed! I'm crossing my fingers hoping this year Carlisle won't be 100 degrees outside like it was last year.

#11 ·
We always have a tent and water onsite, and you can bring in a cooler, or patronize the food and drink vendors to keep cool.

#12 ·
We may be able to make it. It will depend on Marla and the weather etc. We will have to see how it goes. It's a long drive and I'm not sure about her work etc. at this point. But I don't believe I will come alone. If we come she will be with me of course.

#13 ·
I'm hoping to make it out to the Chrysler Nats this year. I've participated the last 5 years in the GM Nationals, but I think I'm going to skip it this year as a lot of my friends can't make it and they switched the judging around. I'll probably come out in my mom's new 2013 Charger R/T with the Road and Track package in Copperhead Pearl. I don't know if I'll have my 300c up to my show standards by then or not. :frusty:

Where is everyone staying? I'll only be out there for one night before I have to head out half way though Saturday for my Church's 175th Anniversary.

#14 ·
Hotels as of today, within Carlisle Proper:

Red Roof Inn, $132
Residence Inn, $209
Super 8, $126
Rodeway, $140
Hotel Carlisle / Embers Convention, $147
Howard Johnson, $142
Travelodge, $128
Americas Best Value, $150

Your best bets are in Mechanicsburg and Harrisburg, IMHO.

Microtel in Enola is funny -- it's showing up in hotels.com at, get this, $919 per day, "special deal." I think that must be a mistake.

#15 ·
I just signed up for the show, and for the Best Western in Middletown. They have a special 3-night deal again this year, averages $70 a night, so with taxes and fees, 3 nights is only $235. Hard to beat this. It's clean and safe, about 20-25 minutes from the show, has a gas station and a Wendy's next door, and a Bob Evans a mile up the road. I've stayed here 4-5 times, always good.

#18 ·
You want to pre-register with the Gate-n-Go pass, so that you get your windshield sticker by mail in advance. That way you can apply it to the windshield before you drive in, cruise in at the gate and park and go get your goody bag. Otherwise, you end up in a long line outside the gate and have to register there, which can be 40 minutes or more in traffic and juggling for a temporary spot to park.

#20 ·
You can be there as long as you want within hours. Some people come only for Saturday, others for Friday-Sunday. The field opens Thursday afternoon, which is when some of us show up and set up the Allpar tent and check in. I'm there for Friday and Saturday, then spend Sunday driving home. Gates open around 7 a.m., til dark or thereabouts. They also have limited camping inside, for those who like to do it and save money. There are bathrooms, showers, concessions.

#22 ·
Much of the crowd starts leaving around 5 pm. That's generally when we pack up for the day. Then we typically head out and meet at a local restaurant for dinner, usually both on Friday and Saturday. Make sure you're at the Allpar tent then, to get directions and join us.

#23 ·
Absolutely.

Side note, this year we are probably going to leave it to Bob Lincoln and other early folk to set up the tent and get things going on Friday morning. If we leave here at 8 am on Friday, we can be there by noon (stopping at the hotel to get a room, so we don't end up getting the last room that nobody wants). The main reason is I'm really not able to hold up for Thursday through Sunday, and this year, we'd like to do some video/photo shooting on Sunday, when the show is pretty empty, instead of doing the usual "trophy run."

So far nobody has been enthusiastic on either side of the argument ("no, do the trophies!" or "yeah, do the pics!").

#24 ·
Dave, I can meet you Thursday to pick up the tent accessories if you're available then. Probably would be sometime between 12-2 pm. Hoping to be able to fit them in my car - will have two suitcases in the back, but with seats folded down, there is still space.

I vote for video on Sunday.

#25 ·
Sounds great. I'll probably take the long piles myself, then, they're a bear to put up... but a bunch of banners don't take up much space, nor do the standup brochure things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.