NewsBehind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charging problem on 2006

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by ptcrooser, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ptcrooser

ptcrooser Member

Looking for some advice.

My PT is not charging properly. I changed the battery (mostly because it was old anyway.) And is have had a bench test done on the alternator and the guy says it is fine.

When idling is it cranking out 13 - 13.5 volts, but when there is a load on the system the out drop down to 10 or 11.

Any have any advice one where to look next?

Thanks!

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If you have a multi-meter (they run about $15-$20) the battery voltage at rest (engine not running) should be 12.6 volts (6 cells x 2.1 volts each). With the engine running the voltage should be over 14 volts (14.3-14.4 volts). Anything less points to the alternator not producing a sufficient charge.

Before replacing the alternator though, I would definitely clean the battery posts and cables, and then measure the voltage again. A film can build up over time and create resistance and limit voltage.

Perhaps Imperial or Bob Lincoln will post a reply. They are a bit more knowledgeable on this. Bob's an electrical engineer and Imperial is a former Chrysler mechanic. I just know the basics. I don't think a bench test is a sufficient test.

Most auto parts retailers (AutoZone, Advance Auto, NAPA) will test the charging system for no charge.

3. AllanC

AllanC Active Member

I would suspect one or more failed diodes in the alternator. AT low electrical low the system can manage but at higher load / engine rpm, it cannot produce desired electrical current and voltage.

Bob Lincoln and Doug D like this.
  4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Any fault codes or battery light coming on? If your charging voltage falls below normal, there is a alternator/regulator/wiring/connection problem that has to be located and corrected.
    There was also a PCM software flash addressed in TSB # 18-007-07 for P0622/P063A fault codes:
    http://www.dixie-electric.com/tsb/TSB_852.pdf

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

That was my experience once. I confirmed it by measuring a fast drop in battery voltage with engine off. By morning it would barely crank and not start. Was 13.3 volts at idle when it was running.