NewsNew 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap • Mopar dominates Funny Car, sets records

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrysler EV technology

Discussion in 'Chrysler Chat' started by Burningpoop, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Burningpoop

Burningpoop New Member

Couldn't find anything about this, but I'm curious as to what happen to all the EV technology Chrysler had in 2008?

[​IMG]

I believe Chrysler was owned by Cerberus at the time and vowed an EV Wrangler Unlimited, EV Town & Country, and Circuit EV(lotus platform) on dealer lots by 2010. Obviously with different ownership those plans were scrapped, but what happen to all that technology? Granted EV tech is always evolving and so 2008 EV tech is ancient by todays standards. Did FCA use any of the tech to help develop Portal tech?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

I think that the 'lessons learned' and any patents from the state-of-the-art hybrid and electromotive drive systems are still there in the corporate memory banks. The people may have come and gone. We had the GEM and hybrid Durango/Aspens 10 years ago. We learned a lot at a very difficult time for Chrysler and couldn't sustain real development here. I really thought that the GEM was going to take us out of the electric golf-cart stage into the modern EV stage.
    They just aren't profitable or in-demand at this point. Fuel is cheap and plentiful and gas/diesel truck sales are doing great.
    I'm sure that development is still going on. Batteries are getting better, but still no break-through technology.

3. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

No.

FCA sold GEM to Polaris, including all the IP.

4. patfromigh

patfromigh Active Member

That particular EV technology was entirely supplied by a vendor. I can't remember who it was, but it was a German company. It wasn't Bosch, whose EV system went into the 500E. The Fiat 500E has taught FCA not to be dependent on just one vendor for an entire drivetrain or technology. Most of the vehicles in that 2008 program were REV or Range Extended electric Vehicles.

The Pacifica's PHEV is a great leap forward. Allegedly any FCA vehicle that uses the 9-speed transaxle, can use the Pacifica's hybrid system. How about a PHEV Jeep Renegade with the 3 cylinder Firefly for keeping things charged?

Dodge could build the Circuit right now using the Alfa-Romeo 4C as a base. All the parts are there, it would be just a question of putting it all together.

Shane Estabrooks and Burningpoop like this.
  5. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

With all the (ugly) solar panels popping up on houses around here there will be less strain on the delivery system.

pt006 likes this.
  6. Nell_Z

Nell_Z New Member

The Circuit EV was on a Lotus platform. Was that supposed to be made in conjunction with the Tesla Roadster? Did Tesla and Chrysler have something going on back then?

7. pt006

pt006 Member

Joe; just saw a story on the nightly business report [PBS] about a Hawaiian Island that has 50 acres of solar panels, and battery banks that supplies their electricity at night. Elon Musk is involved. Pretty impressive stuff.

8. patfromigh

patfromigh Active Member

No on both questions. The Circuit was simply stealing an idea.