NewsRam creates new range-topper • Better Brampton big-car paint • Another Chrysler Atlantic?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of the Pentastar V6

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by FGA cheerleader, Mar 17, 2017.

1. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

Mike V. likes this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Thanks for reposting, FGA.

3. GasAxe

GasAxe Active Member

One thing I've always heard is the cost of the 5.7 Hemi is lower than the Pentastar. I'm assuming most of that is development and tooling costs that can be amortized. Will that production cost for the Pentastar be coming down as time moves on to the point where it has more life solely due to cheap production?

jerseyjoe, aldo90731 and somber like this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

The > 400 HP (316 kW 423.6 HP, in the Levante) of the V6 engines used by Maserati, that are based on a revised Pentastar block (different bore, oil passages and very likely also more "finishing" work) have totally different heads, are twin turbo and use direct injection, ....
    That are some reasons of why are more expensive engines.

[​IMG]

guyverfanboy and BASONE88 like this.
  5. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Member Level 2 Supporter

I've said it before in this forum, but I'm fine with the bread-and-butter Pentastar keeping port injection. I'm not interested in the potential NVH or environmental trade-offs of direct injection.

jerseyjoe, UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I like the idea of a new Inline-6. Call it the Tornado, and sit it next to the Hurricane ;)
    [​IMG]

7. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

There is not much help with GDI on NA engine. With turbo it's different. But SMPI + MultiAir means similar effect as GDI + Dual VVT. GDI + MultiAir is something else as new GME/Hurricane inside of Giulia proves. By fat the best observed fuel economy of all 2.0 turbos on MotorTrend comparison test and was the most powerful engine there.

8. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

And probably it has by far the biggest HP/liter of any production engine with open deck block. IMO, 143 HP/liter is quite a lot for open deck.

9. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

Part count, materials, and manufacturing efficiencies will all play a YUGE factor in persistent cost of the Pentastar. This is why they may look at designing an i6 with an eye to keeping costs down.

10. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

I will cite one article because development times could be shortened when new engine is based on existing one:
    The Alfa Romeo V6 took less than three years to develop and has the same bore and stroke as Ferrari's F154BB V8.

@Mike V.

guyverfanboy and Mike V. like this.
  11. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

Would an I6 be out a ways (in time)? Think of the packaging constraints if it replaces the V6 in products made with the V-engine in mind.

N-S orientation, coupled with the 8-speed, then gives pause.

As regards I6 ... I definitely recall Mr. Sheaves stating the phase-out of the Jeep 4.0L I6 was due to emissions countermeasures necessary owing to that configuration - specifically calling-out 'Top-Dead-Center' as an ongoing issue. I'm unsure if he meant THAT specific I6 product, or if he was trying to school the reader on the deployment of the configuration, itself.

12. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

Then check some random BMW engine bay. It could have both Inline 6 and ZF 8HP. Maybe F30 335i or 340i.

13. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

I
    I don't know NEARLY ENOUGH to effectively answer this question, but it seems like the Hurricane (on which the proposed I6 would be based) uses an offset crank to reduce sidewall stress, friction, and (I suppose) oil creep into the combustion chamber. Perhaps this would help alleviate the emissions problems?

As for engine packaging, between Ram based Wagoneers and Wrangler based Rams there should be enough production vehicles with compartments big enough for an I6.

superduckie5000 and Mike V. like this.
  14. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

How BMW can pass the emission test?

Why European car makers are saying that long stroke is the way to go in modern engines? American not so much.

15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Level 2 Supporter

Yes, single turbo and twin turbo straight six motors are in development.