Allpar Forums banner

Did I miss something about the Rebel TRX?

17K views 79 replies 22 participants last post by  VoiceOfReason 
#1 ·
Just stumbled across this post...

Did I miss something?

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah someone stepping in something there....

WAY too early for that truck to even think about being available.... IF they actually do it.

I did hear that they were looking at it for feasibility though. So that's the first major step.

Reactions: danbek and Mike V.
#9 ·
Cost of detuning? The "detuning" is done through engine management programming. There isn't a large cost. The engine and subsequent drivetrain are already being shared so cost is already being spread.

Mike

Reactions: TTO_XODJ
#34 ·
So, are you saying that the Rebel package which gave the poser crowd a factory pose package (I love the Rebel, not bashing) that they are now going to give it some more true offroad help. Along the lines of a raptor more so than Powerwagon.

They keep making all these great things. I almost had my mind set on Powerwagon. Then the SRT Durango. Now a more capable Rebel. The Rebel TRX is a dream truck.
But a Better Rebel would be very high on the purchase list.

#42 ·
So, are you saying that the Rebel package which gave the poser crowd a factory pose package (I love the Rebel, not bashing) that they are now going to give it some more true offroad help. Along the lines of a raptor more so than Powerwagon.

They keep making all these great things. I almost had my mind set on Powerwagon. Then the SRT Durango. Now a more capable Rebel. The Rebel TRX is a dream truck.
But a Better Rebel would be very high on the purchase list.
The Rebel TRX (minus the HELLCAT powertrain) was used as a study to see how far they can take the next Rebel package to aim square at the Raptor. Chevrolet is doing the same thing with the Colorado and its new ZR2 package. Ram won't hold back.

#44 ·
You will be seeing a few more offroad packages in the near future. The current Rebel has built a successful name to build on. Don't forget all the new Ram commercials about being America's Offroad Leader... you have already seen Ram introduce an affordable 4X4 Offroad Package for the 2500, don't be surprised not to see a similar package in the next 1500 (remember the old Off-Roadsters?) on the DT to replace the current Rebel and Rebel become the Ram 1500's corner stone in the offroad market similar to how the 4X4 Off-Road and Power Wagon packages work on the 2017 models.

#48 ·
Oh yeah, with the DT, they will have the Raptor beat on looks, hands down. They will easily have the match in suspension and tech. But the engine.....they also better bring the golden engine out in order to top the Raptor. Like I mentioned, there's plenty of talk of a TT5.0 coming for the Raptor in the future. So RAM better bring a boomstick. They'd be smart to Bring it even if Furd stays committed to the current 3.5 V6. Im just sayin.....

Reactions: VoiceOfReason
#56 ·
Ram should start putting the 392 in the 1500's. A regular cab R/T with a 6 speed manual and a 392 would be bad [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms], as well as a 485hp rebel with some minor suspension tweaks over the current model.
Yes it would. Want a taste of what a 6.4 will do in a RAM 1500?

View: https://youtu.be/pASa8eBknx4

It would be totally bad A$Z but since we are on the subject, a Rebel aimed at the Raptor will need more.

#60 ·
You can get it done through Prefix!
Prefix is pretty cool and if you're crafty, you can get it done for a lot less than a Raptor - buy a beat up 2013 year 1500 low end Ram and have them stuff a 6.2L in it. Don't get fancy with the paint ($20,000+ . . . for *paint* ?!?!?!?) and for around $40k, you get a not new, questionable warranty Raptor competitor (I say questionable, not because the warranty is questionable, but my own ignorance of the warranty situation with Prefix).
Still not a TRX though. Looks are subjective, but my preference is leaps and bounds in favor of the TRX. TRX has the declawed kitty in it, which is still Brawndo under the hood, and the Minotaur doesn't (and they aren't cheap to get).

Off topic (please forgive) - what's the latest on Hellcat crate engines? That still a no-no? I saw a couple places advertise things on-line, but not sure if they are legit or not.

If Prefix were willing to produce a TRX like (more in looks) kit and stuff a Hellcat in it, I'd be very tempted to get it. Any rough idea of warranty status on Minotaurs? Go through Prefix or the dealer for those?
The Minotaurs seem to be great off-road performers, but that excessive overbite look just bugs me. I don't live near Silver Lake and would likely make it out there no more than once a year, so the performance is not the sole deciding factor. I like the look of the TRX and the Minotaur just doesn't have that. Also, I want to be able to stomp on the gas and get excited (my "other ride" is a Hayabusa, so I am excessively hard to please in that area - 700 ponies and gobs of torque would do it though).
They (Prefix) can do it - for a price, but a one off is $100,000 territory easy. That is well outside my range. If they had a kit (and a customer base big enough to support the effort) and the price was right and the warranty situation was not an issue, I think I'd go for it.

They said in a video they think they can do 200 - 300 Minotaurs a year. That sounds rather high to me (like an order of magnitude high). Is that number even reasonable? 20 a month seems like a lot.
(I was trying to gauge support and potential customer base to justify a TRX like kit, but I know 20 a month would be hard to pull off)

#64 ·
I was going through this thread again and found I had a few questions -
@redriderbob you were saying that the next Rebel will a) be aimed at the Raptor b) be more off-road capable.

6.4L Rebel would be a competitor to Raptor for spec'd performance, however, they're currently still very different trucks. A Rebel, even equipped with a 6.4L, would get shredded by a Raptor on the dunes. The Rebel, however, would be better on the Rubicon trail.

Will the Rebel become more "dune-capable" also?

Reactions: VoiceOfReason
#66 ·
I wish they'd shown the Rebel TRX doing more off-road than a gravel road though. Use the suspension, and all that. I get that they couldn't risk it because one-off, but still, man. It reminded me of the Kia "off-road" package footage from a year or two ago with.. i think the Soul awd or w/e?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.