NewsNew Pacifica trim to hit sweet spot? • Does the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Oil sensor swap

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mr2tim, Mar 28, 2017.

1. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

Oil Pressure Sender DIY

I googled this work and those pro’s used a lift for this and were able to stand up and reach in which doesn’t work so good when I laid under the car. So I used a different approach while standing with the hood open.

First I got the filter assembly and battery out of my way. Then I loosened/removed the 2 bolts holding the fuse blocker block and wedged it out down and out of my way.

Peeking behind the engine, you can see the connector which has a red lock tab that has to be pushed into the connector only then can the thumb tab can be levered and the connector pulled directly rearward.

I had to use a flex-joint on the 27mm socket to allow me to get my shorty ratchet in place which meant it was harder to get the sensor loose. I wrapped the new sensor with 1 wrap of thread tape and reversed the above. Remembering to flick the red lock tab back on the connector after it snaps into position.

Since my battery was pulled, my #0522 Check Engine Light (CEL) no longer was registered in the fault memory of the engine’s computer.

I have some pictures of this work, feel free to contact me if you need visual re-enforcement.

Mister2 TIM
    SupercharZed ToyZ RacZing
    Boca Raton, Florida

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Might help if we knew what year, make, model and engine this was for.

I had to replace the oil pressure sensor on a 2.5L 4 cylinder engine, but it was relatively easy to access since it was on the front of the engine.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

If that's a 1-wire sensor, not a good idea to wrap the threads. They serve as the ground connection, and wrapping them will partially or totally isolate the ground connection, throwing off the sensor reading. Oil pressure sensors are tapered and are made to screw in tightly enough to prevent leaks.

4. pt006

pt006 Member

Bob; I've had good luck using the thin teflon tape over the years. On 1/8" NPT brass fittings the shiny brass is still visible on the threads after tightening and removing. So I strip off the old tape and put on new. And on water systems, it aids in removal after several years.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Teflon tape is a great idea if the sensor doesn't rely on the sensor screw threads as a ground connection.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  6. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

----------------------------------------
    Hi Bob, if you read carefully enuff you would have seen this "I wrapped the new sensor with 1 wrap of thread tape".

Is that Avatar picture the Daytona Turbo from years ago?

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

I did read carefully. You put one wrap of tape around the threads. That can partially insulate a 1-wire sensor and throw off the reading somewhat.

That is my 84 Daytona Turbo Z, which I've had since 2008. The 93 rusted out too badly to keep. Yet the buyer, who was explicitly told of the safety risk and parts-only status, chose to put it back on the road in upstate NY.