NewsNew 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap • Mopar dominates Funny Car, sets records

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Member

The Jeep-Durango plant in Detroit is consistently sold out. No need to rallye!
    Dodge (now RAM) is also looking for extra capacity to grow sales....
    The jury is out on Dodge cars at this time. Where is the market going?

Dave Z likes this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Agreed. Though I wonder what would have happened had they NOT done it. Lincoln, you know, only went as far down as the Taurus; yet, they really didn’t keep their mojo, either.

Making real luxury cars is a commitment GM, Ford, and Chrysler were not willing to make. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, who knew they would come back, either? The market wasn’t great in those days. The large car buyers went from luxury to Park Avenues, Concordes, and such. Lexus came in and blasted Mercedes for a while, by making silent, reliable, powerful, comfortable cars, following the old Detroit formula — of putting them onto the backs of Toyotas.

Maybe the issue is that they had leaders who would commit. Chrysler had people who knew what was needed but couldn’t get their bosses to go along with it, from EFI to proper grilles. I’m sure GM and Ford had the same issues.

If a single crap car kills a brand, Mercedes should be dead!

3. Muther

Muther Active Member

As I said before, the real reason you race is not to gain access to new marketing outlets, it is not to help develop cars or technology. You race to win. You race to defeat your opponents and be the best. THAT is why you race. THAT is irreplaceable, it can mean so much. Everything else is secondary to winning.

To get the most possible out of a racing program, that is how you have to look at it. You have to sort of lose your rationale for a bit, and make an emotional decision. I am not saying you have to go broke. Look at Nissan, even in their deep dark depths of nearly going bankrupt, they still raced. It is that important to them.

To get the most out of a racing program, don't look through the eyes of a marketing wonk, an engineer, a production manager or a brand manager.

Look at racing through the eyes of a competitor.

Racing is about winning. It is about excellence. That is why I say a NASCAR program, having nothing to do with production, is a good thing.

4. SE Charger

SE Charger Member

Exactly!

pentastarpunk likes this.
  5. Muther

Muther Active Member

Full Disclosure:

I really do dislike what NASCAR has become. Even if Dodge returned, I would almost surely not watch it again (I left it in the early 80's). I think the manufacturers would have to play a bigger role, and they would have to do more road courses, and maybe even a city street course.

That said, racing is racing. It is competing. It is winners and losers. A hammer breaks glass, but it hardens steel.

Race.

Win.

All else be damned.

pentastarpunk likes this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore Active Member Level III Supporter

No, a single crap car won't kill a brand, but it will lose you a certain percentage of it's buyers who get irritated enough to want to try another brand. Then you build another crap car and you lose some more irritated customers. Then you build another crap (or disappointing) vehicle and you lose some more of your customers. Then you look around and you are only selling half of the vehicles that you used to sell.

7. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore Active Member Level III Supporter

That's looking at it from a race driver's point of view. Very few auto companies are willing to commit to the expense of racing just to feed their egos if it doesn't result in some payoffs in their sales down the road. Their stockholders wouldn't allow it, if nothing else.

8. Gerry G

Gerry G Member

I could never get used to a camry beating a charger. Wrong on so many levels. Just thinking of it makes me throw up a bit in my mouth...

Doug D and Dodgeguy1961 like this.
  9. Dodgeguy1961

Dodgeguy1961 Member

I think that NASCAR is in the midst of a sea change. They know that they are in trouble. Attendance is low at most races, TV ratings are trending down. They need to change for the times and they are making some changes to that affect with the new race format. How that will play out we don't yet know but it's a major gamble and change. They also know that the cars need to better resemble the cars on the road, more road courses and more manufacturers competing in order to survive. A street course or 2 is long overdue. I think they are heavily courting FCA to get Dodge back in the sport. I do not think that Sergio really wants to get back in but I think NASCAR really wants Dodge back. Just my humble opinion but that's how I see it. Whether that happens or not is anyone's guess at this point. NASCAR is probably talking to other manufacturers too like Honda and Nissan and a few others. I'm not sure when the TV contracts are up and need to be renegotiated but ratings better improve soon or they will become a 2nd or 3rd tier sport.
    Dodgeguy1961

10. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I'm undecided on the 2017 rule changes. I like that the point leader after the regular season gets 15 bonus points and the breaking up the race into stages. Buddy of mine doesn't like the changes at all (he never did like the chase).

I do want to see a road course in the "playoffs". Maybe Road America or Mid-Ohio? NASCAR did experiment with part of the infield as part of the course at Charlotte.

I don't like Talladega in the playoffs. I'd swap Bristol in. Make it early in the playoffs due to weather considerations.

Did anyone notice in the event of a race incident (wreck), replacing body panels is not allowed. So if you wreck you're basically done for the day. My buddy said NASCAR could resolve that by only paying points to the top 20 spots (similar to F1 which as I recall only pays points to the top 6(?)). That would stop teams with partially damaged vehicles or several laps down from just riding around and getting in the way.

I have mixed feelings about Dodge come back. If they do, it has to be done right and not half baked. Start at the truck level and work their way up to the Xffinity and Cup series. Gott be 100% effort. Given FCA's financials and struggles to refresh models across the board, the timing is not the greatest.

NASCAR is not the only major sport to see ratings decline. MLB and NFL have also experienced ratings declines.

Dodgeguy1961 likes this.
  11. Muther

Muther Active Member

That is exactly my point. There is no real sanity in racing.

The sanest way to look at racing is looking at it from the least sane point of view.

Why do you climb a mountain? Why do you run a marathon, why would Oracle go after the America's Cup, why did Ford go after Ferrari at LeMans. You do those things to prove something.

If you race as a marketing tool, you lose. If you race to develop cars, you lose. The reason you race is to prove your commitment to being the best.

Racing for any other reason is silly. There are much better and cheaper ways to accomplish those goals.

"There is no terrible way to win, there is only winning."
    Jean-Pierre Sarti
    Grand Prix (the movie)

12. Mopar Jerry

Mopar Jerry Member Level III Supporter

Good morning, as we see there are many valid points on both sides of the coin but me personally I just want to see DODGE racing again in Nascar , not so much because I am a Nascar fan but because I am a big DODGE fan & I like seeing them race on a big stage. I hope it happens soon. MOPAR Always!

13. Mopar Jerry

Mopar Jerry Member Level III Supporter

Good morning. Just read on Jayski that Mike Harmon will be running a 2017 Dodge Charger (not Challenger which he ran last year) sponsored by Veterans Motorsport. Just wondering if Charger is a miss print, also I don't know if Challenger is Nascar certified for 2017. MOPAR Always!

14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

15. Wade in Minnie

Wade in Minnie New Member