NewsAWD 300/Charger recall • Toledo upgrades mean furloughs • Truth and fiction: Demon power rumors

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine start stop for JL Wrangler

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by corpcow, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM.

1. corpcow

corpcow Member

2. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

I believe JGC improved about 1-2 mpg combined from 2015 to 2016 depending on the various trims. I don't think it was all because of ESS though.

3. link3721

link3721 Needs More Jeep Level 2 Supporter

It helps with city mileage, but I don't think the MPG rating (EPA cycle) accounts for it yet. I'd imagine an mpg or two in city driving.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Chase300

Chase300 Member

I had it in a JC V6. Worked as designed. They are not invisible, you know it, but it fired up quickly and I could see getting use to it pretty quickly.

guyverfanboy and UN4GTBL like this.
  5. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Active Member

I rode in a Mercedes CUV with Start/Stop, its very noticeable in the Mercedes. I think there is just no way around it, and engine stopping and starting is going to be noticeable.

Probably just something you get used to. It should come with the option to disable the feature, so if your overdue on a spark plug change and the engine isn't starting easily, you don't end up blocking traffic or being frustrated with each start taking a long time.

The ZF transmissions have an option in their design to add an accumulator and the stored pressure/energy in the accumulator can be used to start the vehicle moving via the transmission being turned by the accumulator, then engage the engine and start as the vehicle accelerates for the engine to take over. I would think this "might" make for a smoother start up, provided the engine is going to start easily and there is enough energy stored in the accumulator, it could be very rough, and even stalled and lurch to a stop if the accumulator runs out of energy before the engine has started well enough to take over and move the vehicle.

guyverfanboy and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. wilbur

wilbur Member

My wife has it in her Encore. Other than wanting to rip it out for the first month, she has gotten use to it.

A friend has start/stop in his '16 F150 and just presses a button on the dash to shut it off.

Works well otherwise and pretty seem less.

I am thinking there will either be a button to turn it off or automatically turn off when you are in off road situations in the new wrangler... (I would hope)

Wil

guyverfanboy likes this.
  7. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

There is a button to disable it in the Cherokee & Grand Cherokee, so I would think there would be one in the new Wrangler.

Having said that it resets with every ignition cycle, so it won't stay off until you turn it back on.

As well, it's just on the 3.2 and 3.6L versions of the above vehicles IIRC

8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

2018 Jeep Wrangler / Wrangler Unlimited JL
      • Production startup November 2017 (production moving to Toldeo North Assembly Plant)
      • All-new "JL" Wrangler
      • New: First model year for the all-new "JL" generation
      • New: 2nd generation ZF 8-speed transmissions
      • New: 2.0L Hurricane engine (with new 850RE transmission)
      • New: 3.0L VM Diesel engine for North America (with new 8HP75 transmission) (possible delay until 2019 model year)
      • New: 3.6L Pentastar upgrade engine with Electronic Stop/Start (with new 850RE transmission)
      • New: 8.4" next gen navigation radio
      • New: Interchangeable soft top / hard top
      • New: True 3-piece hard top
      • New: Power soft top (will fold like the Liberty skyslider)
      • New: Available glass panel for hard top

9. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

This shouldn't surprise anyone... it is coming, across the board.

Mike

10. link3721

link3721 Needs More Jeep Level 2 Supporter

I still don't understand why anyone would turn ESS off (excluding off-road, which probably would trip the conditions to disable it). Had it in a rental Cherokee and wasn't bothered at all.

guyverfanboy and xjgary like this.
  11. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

It's different

guyverfanboy and GasAxe like this.
  12. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Active Member

What little I've seen, it bothered me, enough to turn it off and at least not try to give it a chance and try to get used, no I would try to get used to it. I can see some being endlessly annoyed by it and want to shut it off.

It might be better for the car and even mileage if you're in very heavy traffic jam that your stopping and starting every 10 seconds, probably a good idea to shut off the ESS.

Don't forget people will own these cars for a decade, the engine might have a malfunction that hasn't been repaired yet, and it be hard to start. I can imagine being in heavy traffic and every time I come a stop and the motor takes 10 seconds of cranking and stalls if shifted into gear too quickly. Shutting off ESS would be a god send, so I can get to the shop and get the motor fixed within the next couple of hours and not block traffic behind me.

13. xjgary

xjgary Member

My daily driver is a Prius. I don't even notice it anymore, but first time passengers panic and tell me that my engine just quit . Or they remark about how quiet it is at the stoplight. But it always works fine.

14. Roger Mac

Roger Mac New Member

Great info, confirms most of the rumors so far.
    Any word on availability of manual transmission or integral metal roof version?

15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

Yes, manual will be back... many of the mules around are the 6-speed manual.