NewsAt last, the Demon price • New 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine swap?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by ClayBelt40's, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

Has anyone ever swapped the engine in the PT Cruiser for something more satisfactory?

2. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

I saw a Mopar magazine several years ago where someone had put a 426 hemi in a PT. THAT would definitely be more satisfactory to me!

3. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

There are a lot of conversions out there, Mother's did one with a 3.8, required some body firewall modifications (sheetmetal moving stuff), and plenty of V8 and RWD setups, too. I always thought there should have been a 3.3/3.8 under the hood of the PT Cruiser, as turbos are not for everyone. There is always the Whipple supercharger option.

pt006 likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Finding a same year Turbo or H.O. GT turbo donor car would likely be the least amount of conversion work.
    I did swap a stick-shift into my automatic Neon and it gave the car some guts and better fuel economy.

5. pt006

pt006 Member

Dana; I'm still waiting for someone to put a 3.6 Pentastar in a PT. I searched 6 months ago, but nothing then. 300 HP and a 6 speed would be enough for me.

6. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

I would be afraid the Pentastar would be too large for the PT Cruiser engine bay without modifications to fit, the 3.3/3.8 is a much more compact engine, but I could be wrong. Yes, the PT does need somewhere around 250-300hp, so the 3.6 would be an interesting dimensional check to see how it would do.