NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front door speakers not working

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by JDK52, Jan 31, 2017.

1. JDK52

JDK52 New Member

good day

This post is in regard to a 2006 PT Limited.

I am looking for anyone's experience regarding non functioning front door speakers.

The car has the 2 speakers in the dash - which are working, as well as functional rear speakers.
    Front door speakers have no sound even with the fade set to all front.
    The radio unit is the single cd type.

I thought that the dash and front door speakers were driven by the same output wire pair from the radio, so the fact that the dash speakers work is confusing.
    So far I have checked the wires for output at the front door speakers and found audio signal.
    This condition exists on both left and right sides.
    Rear speakers are operational.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this a common failure of these radios?
    To check the speaker wiring can I disconnect the radio and reconnect it without concern?
    Also- if I wish to install a used radio are there security codes that the new unit would need?

Insights appreciated.

2. JDK52

JDK52 New Member

EDIT TO POST - line should have stated:
    So far I have checked the wires for output at the front door speakers and found NO audio signal.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

i think this applies to the PT Cruiser as it does for the other models of that timeframe:
    If you have a factory amp in the system, the amp will split the front signal from the radio into separate signals for the dash and the doors.
    You may want to see if there is an output signal for those speakers at the amp.

4. JDK52

JDK52 New Member

Mark,Thanks for the information.

Are these radios security coded? Can they be disconnected and reinstalled without code?

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

I don't know on the security code, sorry.

6. gsmceads

gsmceads New Member

I have disconnected mine and reconnected without any security code. The satellite radio didn't work when I bought the car and it still doesn't. I don't know if that is related to a security code or not, but even when the satellite company sent me a free week notification, it didn't work.

JDK52 likes this.
  7. JDK52

JDK52 New Member

Just to follow up -

My problem seems to be the door speakers themselves.
    The wiring from the radio unit to the speakers in this car is direct - there is not a secondary amp or other circuitry.

The fact that my door speakers did produce a very slight sound and had continuity in the voice coil was misleading. They pretended to be good!
    Somehow they had failed in such a manner as to draw power and not make much sound. The dash speakers had dinminished output as well when the door speakers were connected.

A test with a different speaker was a success.

Thanks to all who offered assistance.

djsamuel likes this.
  8. JDK52

JDK52 New Member

And..........

The problem with my factory speakers turned out to be that the voice coil and armature had seized.
    Even though the speaker showed electrical continuity it was mechanically frozen.