NewsNew Pacifica trim to hit sweet spot? • Does the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a job with FCA

Discussion in 'Chrysler Chat' started by MoparGuy413, Apr 6, 2017.

1. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Member

I'm graduating in a month with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering.

My goal is to be an engineer at FCA and help improve the products that we all love.

Quite frankly, I've applied for every position I feel I'm remotely qualified for. I've had 2 phone screens for 2 different positions, but haven't gone past that point, unfortunately.

Every time I get a rejection, I apply for more jobs.

I firmly believe that they can either hire me, or keep telling me no. But, I'm not going to go away. They'll just keep seeing my name pop up.

2. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Member

awesome attitude dude... keep going and hope you get that job..

AvengerGuy likes this.
  3. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Hate to say it, but helps to know someone.

See if you can connect through someone at Linkedin.

Good luck!

Doug D likes this.
  4. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Member

If I knew who I could connect with on LinkedIn, I would

5. dakota21

dakota21 Member Supporter

I'll be in the same position as you when I graduate in a year, except I'm an Industrial Engineer. The auto industry has a reputation for being hard to get into, but don't give up!

After applying for a bunch of intern positions, I did get a summer vacation replacement intern position at FCA for the summer. Too bad it's only temporary. :(

6. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Member

I'm not planning on giving up. I applied to 5-6 more positions at FCA today. HR is probably tired of seeing my name

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  7. CudaPete

CudaPete Active Member Ad-Free Member

What school do you go to? When I was there most of the engineers I knew were from local Michigan/Ohio schools.

8. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Member

I go to Youngstown State, approximately 4 hours from Auburn Hills.

I just want an opportunity for a face to face interview so I can convey the passion that I have for FCA. It's incredibly difficult to express that over a phone call

9. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

There are also the job offers of Magneti Marelli and COMAU in Michigan.
    The two are FCA companies.

10. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member Level III Supporter

I worked at the engineering center for 42 years and I agree with Cuda Pete about where most hires hires come from. In the Motorsports engine group we had one guy from Purdue and one from Minnesota and even had a woman engineer from Russia work with us for awhile but the rest of us were from the Detroit area.. If you can't get an interview at the Tech Center try one of the production plants like the Trenton engine plant or Jefferson or the Warren Truck plant or even the Toledo Jeep plant. There are good engineering jobs there that could give you a lot of experience and then eventually you could transfer to a job at CTC when something you like opens up.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

They have educational relationships with numerous schools, mostly in the midwest. You may be able to do one of those programs post-graduation (e.g. for a master’s degree). That’s the traditional way in, dating to the 1950s. No question but that living in the area helps. There will be Chrysler people at the CEMA show on June 10, I have no idea if you will meet any or not, they don't wear nametags.

Two phone screens isn’t bad, at least you got that far! When I was looking for work after college, I rarely made it that far.

12. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

If you have the time, you may want to consider working at a CDJR dealership for 6-12 months.

When I started my research career 25 years ago, I wanted to focus on the auto industry. I applied and applied but didn't get any responses. So I put my MBA in a drawer, quit my fancy job at Canada's most prestigious research firm, and went to sell cars at a CDJR dealership three blocks from my house.

When I applied for my first job in automotive research at JD Power a year later, it impressed them that I had actually worked at a dealership. The director who hired me said in the interview "I wish I could send everyone of my analysts to work at a dealership for a couple weeks to learn about all this stuff we write about."

That job tought me lots in terms of the dealership operations and mindset, about their relationship with automakers, and about the customer experience. And it prepared me for my own personal interactions with dealerships for the rest of my life.

I consider myself having built a pretty successful career in automotive consulting since them. But man I tell you, selling cars was one of the hardest things I ever did. Nevertheless, that stint spoke about my passion and commitment to automotive better than anything I could put into words, and I would do it all over again.

Or, since you are in engineering, consider a side entry into FCA through a Motorsports vendor, etc.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    jerseyjoe and Dave Z like this.
  13. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Member

I forgot that I have a contact at FCA from my university. I somewhat know this person from both of us being involved in the same senior design project, SAE Mini Baja.

I reached out to him this morning asking who I can contact or what I can do to move past a phone screen.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  14. DC-93

DC-93 Member

I assume you have great grades?

Also - Don't use the latest buzzwords like "reach out". That turns off a lot of folks that interview and actually hire folks.
    Contract guys that I worked with, using the latest jargon, never got hired direct.

15. CudaPete

CudaPete Active Member Ad-Free Member

Getting into the auto industry was one of the reasons I transferred from Rutgers to Detroit. That did get me into Chrysler as a co-op but eventually found myself back in NJ when the economy tanked in the late 80's.