News: The Dodge Challenger Demon’s rear wheel • Inventory healthier… still bloated? • Warren vs Saltillo: the truck game

Sergio speaks, Detroit ’17  •  Chrysler Portal  •  Mopar in Detroit, 2017  •  2012-14 Laramie Limited: dignified luxury

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM ends sales of the Chevy SS in 2017..........check out.

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by Fast Eddie, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member Level III Supporter

General Motors Co. will end sales of the Chevrolet SS car for the U.S. market by the end of the year, with no replacement planned, a GM executive confirmed Monday at the Detroit auto show.

GM North America President Alan Batey said the sporty car built in Australia, will go away by the end of 2017. The car is what Chevy uses in some NASCAR racing and has been on sale for consumers in the U.S. since 2013.

“Using the old adage, ‘win on Sunday, buy on Monday,’ we decided that in small numbers we’d introduce it the U.S. because we could, frankly, at a pretty low cost,” Batey told reporters Monday after introducing a new Chevrolet Traverse SUV. “I would say the vehicle has been really well-received. It’s small volumes, but it’s been really well-received.”

In 2016, GM sold 3,013 Chevy SS sedans, up 4.1 percent from 2015. The SS is based off the Holden Commodore.

Batey said the decision comes because GM is ending vehicle production in Australia. It will continue to sell vehicles in Australia.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Member

Your headline is wrong. Chevrolet does not currently manufacture or sell an "Impala SS"

The vehicle you are referring to is the Chevrolet SS sedan.

3. GasAxe

GasAxe Active Member

Well, good for GM on bringing a RWD sports sedan to the NA market. Why they went with bland styling after the GTO failure and watching how the Charger brought attitude has got to be due to severe budget restraints. For Dodges sake, I'm glad they didn't push more style.

pentastarpunk likes this.
  4. mopar22

mopar22 Member

Heck the only upside was it had a manual

5. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Member

What is an Impala SS? They don't sell such a thing.

They sell the Chevrolet SS based on a Holden product. It is a fun car I've been lucky enough to poke around with. Expensive, and no one will blink an eye at it because it looks pretty generic, but some people want that.

Dave Z likes this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore Active Member Level III Supporter

Ain't going to make much difference in their Nascar participation. GM officials are long sold on participation in motorsports events to maintain "Brand C's" performance image and they will bend the sheet metal of the Impala or the Malibu to conform to Nascar Cup specs............and look for them to spend even more $$$ in Nascar to promote it.

7. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

Next thing you know, GM's NASCAR non-car is gonna look like a Cruze. Or worse, a Traverse. I wonder what the fan reaction would be to that.

I dare FCA to make their NASCAR entry look like a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT just to see how the purists react. :D

8. Fast Eddie

Team Chevy will have its own ripple effect in place for the following 2018 season

Chevrolet racing officials confirmed Monday that the automaker will cease production of the Chevrolet SS at the end of the 2017 model run. The news means the manufacturer will have a new race car for NASCAR's top division for the 2018 season.

Jim Campbell, Chevrolet's US Vice President of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports, said in a statement that there was no firm timetable for a 2018 replacement.

"It was already known that the Chevrolet SS was going to be discontinued in 2017," Campbell said in a statement provided by Team Chevy. "That information was originally announced last summer. As you know, we don't talk about future projects. We'll make any announcement regarding our next Cup entry at the appropriate time."

The SS made its major-league debut in the 2013 season, when NASCAR introduced the Gen-6 stock car to reinforce brand identity among its manufacturers. The SS succeeded the Impala, which Chevrolet used in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series from 2007-2012.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 3:59 PM
  9. Fast Eddie

Did you know? Section 20-1.3 says each car model used in NASCAR must be "American-made." The full rule says: "NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races are open to eligible 2016 models of American-made steel bodied passenger car production sedans."

What about Toyota? Well, the Camry is made in Kentucky, so maybe that's how it works. But Ford Fusions are made in Mexico and Dodge Chargers are made in Canada, so this is certainly a confusing rule.

10. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

Do they mean the actual model of NASCAR spec car they run in the race or the car model that they sticker-up the NASCAR shell to look like?

11. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Member

RE: the Chevy SS ending in 2017. While it may not confirm to the letter of the NASCAR rule book, you can bet there will still be some unsold, new SS models on dealer lots in 2018 and maybe even into 2019. I think many of us are aware that many people who are not car enthusiasts aren't even aware that the Chevy SS even exists. As a large, V-8, RWD sedan with an available manual transmission. The car itself is rarely seen (outside of NASCAR), and the manual transmission cars are very hard to find.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 1:26 AM
  12. Beentherebefore

You can throw out the rulebook when it comes to "Brand C". Back in the 90's it said that Nascar vehicles must be based on RWD models. As you know, Chrysler inquired about re-entering Nascar competition with the FWD converted LeBarons like Bob Keselowski ran in ARCA. Nascar kept pointing to the RWD requirement. A few years later when GM said that they wanted to run a FWD converted "Lumina".........................well you know the rest of the story.

Back in the 70's Nascar outlawed the Mopar winged cars and their Ford competitors and ruled that no more special "aero-enhanced" models would be allowed to race, even if the models were available at dealerships. Of course, when GM built the "Laguna" with it's pointed nose for aero enhancement, Nascar immediately allowed it to compete. Their no aero-enhanced rule was disregarded again when GM's "Aero-coupes" were allowed in the 80's when "Big-E" and other "Brand C" drivers whined about getting beat by the Elliot's T-bird.

Why would allowing an Aussie built "Brand C" car contradicting their rulebook surprise you?

AvengerGuy and pentastarpunk like this.
  13. duster92

duster92 Active Member

Technically, Nascar didn't ban the Mopar winged cars. They just limited their motors to 305 cubic inches. In 1971, Dick Brooks did run a winged Charger Daytona with a 305 C.I. motor in it for the Daytona 500. It actually ran pretty well.

Aero Warriors - The Little Engine That Almost Did

Clinton H Davis likes this.
  14. Beentherebefore

Being limited to 305 CI was a handicap just short of fatal. Yes, the car did run competitively @ Daytona but only because it's aerodynamics were superb on the very large speedways and Brooks could draft to make up for the HP handicap, as he mentions in the article.

Had Nascar not become "Chevcar" by the mid-70s, the Laguna should also have been limited to 305 CI. According to comments by GM execs in the performance car mags of the time, one of the main motivations for it's "shovel nose" was better performance at high speeds in motorsports events.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017 at 7:30 AM
  15. duster92

duster92 Active Member

Part of the issue was wanting Nascar race cars to be based on "Stock" cars. France did not want the series to become a "prototype" series. Ford was testing out the aerodynamic 1970 Torino King Cobra at the time. Cale Yarborough was the main driver testing it and he said it was going to need a wing due to downforce issues. So you were going to have a Wing Car series based on exotic high end automobiles and France wanted a series based on everyday automobiles.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Wing Cars. Buddy Baker said those were the coolest cars Nascar ever raced and I agree. I think there was more to the rules change than "They Banned Mopar cause France was in bed with Chevy." I think France wanted a series that was based on everyday cars. I also think France felt that the manufacturers were becoming too powerful. His rule changes triggered the manufacturer pullout in 1971 and lead to the rise of corporate sponsorship thereafter.

16. Beentherebefore

To be really fair to Chrysler, Nascar should have allowed this type of "shovel nosed" Mopar to race once they approved the Laguna.......... :D.

Chrysler answer to Laguna.jpg

(Photo shared from Pinterest)

17. Beentherebefore

Yes, true. Several posts (and a photo) of the King Cobra on P17 of the Historical Mopar in Nascar - II thread.

18. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Member

Well technically speaking everything on this continent is American made, the countries mentioned are all part of North America...

19. tomaz

tomaz Active Member

I find it Ironic how people never talked about the Fuel economy of the SS.... its worse than a 6.2L 707hp Hemi and 8.4l 645hp V10.....and it only has 415hp....O but its fast around corners so do biggie *rollseyes*