NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye Rockauto :(

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mr2tim, Jan 23, 2017.

1. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

Hi Guys,

Been some time since I've gotten here to post. I'll be posting my wife's 01's Timing Belt work soon. (I've mentioned doing it before but put it off.)

However, here's a sad letter to Rockauto about my purchasing parts for this work. I post this for other owners to know about and to make intelligent purchases accordingly.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    I HAD been ordering parts from Rockauto for at least a decade. Sadly this is ending today, due to your EXCESSIVE shipping fees.

I'm performing a timing belt and water pump replacement on my wife's 01 PT Cruiser. It's a big ticket purchase for me, a retiree on a modest budget nowadays.

The parts totaled $155. Then, Rockauto added $50 in shipping fees. Yep, Rockauto raised the price a whopping 30% [​IMG]

Un-fortunately for you Auto Parts Wholesale has the same price for parts with no shipping fees what-so-ever. So, since I'm buying by price I will not be buying from Rockauto.

As a very experienced parts purchaser, and a professional estimator by trade, I see Rockauto has slipped into the typical successful American business spiral into greed and excessive profit taking. Take this note to management. They need a wake up call.
    ------------------------------------------------------

As always, I look forward to any comments on anything I post.

Mr2Tim
    SupercharZed ToyZ RacZing
    Boca Raton, Fl

2. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

This topic is being flogged on another forum. I won't mention which one, but Mr2Tim knows! LOL

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Hmm, so a corporation wanting to make money is greed, but you wanting to save money is not greed.
    I would not call either greed - both you and the corporation have conflicting financial interests and you both have the right to pursue your financial goals.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

While Rockauto shipping charges are unusually high, I find that the parts prices are low, and the total is in line with any auto parts store.
    Example: fuel filler pipe for my truck was $85, and at Advance Auto it was $131. Recirc air door motor was $21 for my wife's car, and was $31 at local stores. Shipping was $5.

Often the parts arrive a couple of days earlier than predicted. And the brands are really good, sometimes it's new old stock of brands that have gone overseas in recent years, and you get the older, better stuff.

russ93spirit likes this.
  5. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass... Staff Member Supporter

I can't tell if we are dealing with high shipping costs because of high shipping rates from the carriers, or if RA is being accused here of padding the shipping charges to make money (which happens more often than one might think.)

If I can get the part I need for a similar price locally, I will. If I can't - and I can wait for shipping - then I'll often go with RA.

Dave Z likes this.
  6. Lee N. Burns

Lee N. Burns Member

I've heard shipping prices are way up from all the major carriers, regardless of what is being shipped. You might want to tell RA you're sorry.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Rockauto's shipping charges are okay for light weight parts. A few years ago I needed brake rotors (admittedly on the heavy side). The price at RA was good, but by the time shipping charges were calculated it was significantly more than getting the part locally.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Yup. You have to be careful when you buy from RA. They do tell you when parts are shipped from different warehouses. It takes some practice...

9. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Member

Yes I have always know that on heavier parts they will kill you on shipping.

Now with that said, last year I had purchased a set of rear brake drums for my 92 Grand Voyager from RA. Since the drums were on a close out price of $5.00 each and they were still cheaper with the shipping fees included then sourcing them locally.

10. DC-93

DC-93 Member

I have found the lowest rates and fastest service is USPS for most anything, even heavier stuff.
    Shipped some tires to a guy and the cost was 1/2 of the FedEx or UPS quotes.

Who does Rock use?

Dave Z likes this.
  11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

It depends. I've gotten most deliveries from the Fed Ex or USPS. They will identify the carrier on the order screen when you select the shipping method.

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Yup, businesses get a special rate from USPS and FedEx. USPS is always better for normal people. USPS may be easier to deal with.

13. mopowered

mopowered New Member

I was going to order a $38 dollar tailpipe for my 94 dodge 1500 shipping was $ 68 dollars i ended up getting it from AAP for $48 dollars with free shipping . They need to get better shipping rates like summit racing has .

14. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Member

I just when on rockauto and pulled up a water pump and timing belt kit for a 01 PT and the shipping charge was only $7.99 for me. Not sure how you got it up to $50. $115.47 shipped for a gates pump and timing kit. Shipping is a little high sometimes but a have never seen anything that out of wack.