NewsThe minivan that just won’t die • Spotted: the terms for Demon owners • Ram vs “rest of FCA” in JD Power

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got A '69 Valiant (4dr.) Signet!

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Volunteer, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Volunteer

Volunteer Active Member

Welcome back. :) I thought it was about time to update this topic - and other partially associated ones. I trust that most of you had a good Holiday season and 2017 will only improve. I am still dealing with some pesky health issues and, since Signet insurance expired on Nov. 30th., I have not been driving.
    I am sure that many Allpar members along the entire west coast can concur that this has (so-far) been a worse than usual winter - particularly noticeable in bigger centers like Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. Here where I am the temp. this morning was down to -25 c. or -13 f. likely the coldest we've seen in at least past 5 years.
    Looking forward to more 'normal' westerly flow beginning next week. But, that could be temporary and still much snow to get rid of and that means I probably won't be insuring car(s) again until well into Feb. Last year I started the Signet on Jan. 30 and then insured it on Feb. 6th. Roads stayed clear from Groundhog Day - on.
    And, speaking of the Signet, it served me very well all summer - with only one minor 'glitch'. That was with the Holley (of course single-barrel) carb. Those of you who have had anything to do with the early four-barrel, primarily vac.-sec. Holleys, may have had issues or challenges with the low-speed or idle-feed circuit. Usually when a bigger cam with greater overlap is installed, the drop in idle vacuum affects the flow of fuel to the idle circuit. Turning the mixture screws to increase that flow can have little effect due to the small opening in the idle-feed tube. With Carter/Edelbrock, the idle-feed tubes are well out in the open - by design. However, Holley's idea was to hide these tubes in metering blocks. Removing metering jets exposed the tips of these tubes - but no way to get to them.
    Single-barrel carbs, like Model 1920, had one primary metering jet so also one metering tube. To make this long story shorter, I was driving the Signet in early August as returning from nearby lake. Well, at the destination the car ran fine and then also on the highway back. However, as soon as I entered the city and had to slow for first red light, car stalled just as if key turned off. It re-started alright but I quickly learned it would not idle. This symptom did occur in this car before so I was prepared to 'feather' the gas enough to maintain sufficient idle speed when having to stop.
    But, my 'instinct' suggested to me that a piece of dirt would be the culprit. Logical procedure therefore would be to gain access to the metering plate and try to blow out the circuit. I did this before by applying low pressure to the idle-bleed air orifice and then to the mixture opening once the screw removed. Well, once the jet, float and gasket/bowl re-installed, carb pressured-up okay and started and idled fine. I drove it soon after and got maybe four city blocks and same thing happened. It stalled at stop light and wouldn't idle. Couldn't be more 'dirt' so soon. After-all, the inside of fuel chamber was clean and I had good filter and clean, original tank. Hmm.
    So. I removed all that I needed to (after draining carb) and finally the small jet. This time I also removed the metering block for closer look. Something didn't seem right. When I looked into the threaded jet opening, the bottom of the metering tube was tilted over to one side - instead of being centered. I shook the block and the tube also shook. Didn't take long to figure out that it had become dislodged from top and slipped down, therefore allowing air to enter the top access instead of thru proper bottom of tube orifice. Short of drilling out top 'disc' and removing the tube itself, only other option was to gently pry upward at bottom of tube - so as to not damage orifice. I did this and could tell that the fit on top would be snug enough that the tube would not likely fall down any time soon. Yes, it worked perfectly and no issues for the last 3 months of driving.
    A bit long for a simple repair but more of a thorough heads-up to anyone else with same carb. Remember that the two-barrel Holleys have two of these metering tubes and four-barrels have two primaries for sure and sometimes a pair in the secondaries as well. Carbs with twin primary idle tubes less prone to stalling since fuel will still flow thru the one good tube - whether due to other being loose or plugged.
    Finally, this time around, for the one or two of you who are wondering about my '70 Swinger, it is totally stripped down and sitting in cold garage awaiting spring warm-up so some sand-blasting can be done. In meantime there are many parts and systems to go over and restore and/or detail. Time is not at a premium these days. Everyone have a fine rest of January. :D

2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Volunteer: I too can understand the 'health issue' aspect as well; getting old sucks and, I'm trying to be polite.

3. Volunteer

Volunteer Active Member

Still not experiencing the usual spring weather, and I would expect many of you in other areas feel the same. I have friends who 'over-winter' in Palm Springs (CA) and they are doing just fine with temps in upper-eighties to mid-nineties. Can't do anything about the weather except complain, right?
    So, in light of lingering snow in upper levels, I didn't get cars insured until March 21. Last year the Signet was on roads from Feb.6th. Big difference. I've driven it a few times and still no issues or complaints. When I park a car in the fall I make sure it is as good as it can be, so no surprises in the spring. The only thing I did under the hood was to remove and detail the battery tray.
    I took a trip to WA state on March 26 - 30 but used the RX - although small, it's good on gas and kid wanted it that way. (sigh). Ended up putting on over 1300 miles - - when Seattle is only 350 from here. We went as far south as Eatonville, west to Ocean Shores and east to Wenatchee (one of our fave W-state places. That would be second time there in a year, except on March 30, '16, half of the apple blossoms were out.
    Also saw two new movies in two days - never done this before. One year ago, they were filming street scenes in our city for the Power Rangers movie. We got first look when about 15 minutes into movie the scene showed a view onto the city with two mountain tops in background. Then there were occasional shots of rural areas throughout and during the final battle scenes near the end, there was (apparently) lots of damage done to streets and buildings (in Angelgrove as they named it). The ending was filmed with extras on a street as I leaned on my back gate - again, exactly one year ago. Pretty neat, but means nothing to you who know nothing of Kamloops - - or B.C. - - or even Canada, for that matter.
    But, trip was nice and kid had fun and a (spring break) promise is honored.
    I will pick her up today with Signet from after-school activity and then a few hours later we drive again to dance practice and then again tomorrow before school for swim practice. This (Easter) weekend will see me take several bags of prunings to recycling yard. Sometimes I remove back seat and can get up to eight huge bags in to car - (RX only 5). But, Signet has roof racks I can use for carrying lumber, ladders, boat, etc.
    So, doing okay without pickup or SUV. Have a fine Easter to all of you as well.

4. Volunteer

Volunteer Active Member

''Greetings from Scarborough, Ontario." We will be home (in BC) in 24 hours, after two weeks away - to the vast expanses of G.T.A. (greater Toronto area). Visiting family and taking in the sites. Didn't realize (or care) that this place is the fourth largest metro area in North America - surpassed only by Mexico City, N.Y.C. and L. A. I'm looking out window to north-east facing the 401 and traffic is unrelenting - even at 3am. We must've travelled 300 miles on transit - including train, subway, streetcars and buses - and not a problem getting on, off or transferring. Someone is doing a good job.
    Kept my eyes open between Port Credit and here and as far north as Canada's Wonderland, and didn't see one old muscle Mopar! Where are you guys? Still garaged for winter? Only one I did see was old body shell of '68 or '69 Satellite or Belvedere (R.R.?) being trailered along Eglinton Ave. Actually, shortage of other muscle cars as well. Could be many reasons but most likely it's to do with law of averages. Such a big place that nice cars just spread out so no concentration in one area. Gas is cheap - by CDN standards - as low as $1.01 per liter. Will be good to get home anyway as we've also walked so much that I am just about ready for a 'vacation'.
    This Sunday will see us take Signet up to favourite lake (at 4500ft.) for annual Fathers' Day Family Fishing. Then, back to domestic grind on Monday. Can't believe how fast these first months of '17 have come and gone. Still waiting for the (usual) really hot dry days we expect in June thru August but that will come.
    If I don't post again before the end of this month, have a very fine Canada Day (150th. birthday) and a very fine Independence Day (to our USA friends). :)