NewsThe official vehicle of Canada Day • Ram leaving “big rig” look behind? • Musical (engine) plants

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlights flickering - 2006 Charger

Discussion in 'Technical Support & Help' started by Gerry G, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Gerry G

Gerry G Member

The headlights and dashlights on my daughter's 2006 Charger have started to flicker in the past few days. Not all the time but seems to happening more often in the last day or so. What should I be looking for? The battery is less than 6 months old and the car has about 90,000 miles on it (3.5l). This is Chicago so the temps have fluctuated between 0 and 40 degrees in the past few days. After she first noted it, I drove the car and did not have any issues during a 1-2 mile drive.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry G.

2. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Member

Bad grounds? Even maybe bad/loose filaments in the headlight bulbs?

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Alternator? That would be my first guess.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Does it seem to be affected by going over bumps or not?
    Does playing with the headlamp or hi-beam switch change anything at all?
    The TIPM/FCM (totally integrated power module/front control module) powers the headlamps and there may not be a fuse or relay.
    The modules can also store fault codes related to lighting, so if one is present it may give you a place to start. You may need an advanced scan tool to read these codes.
    See chapter 8L for lighting and 8W for wiring colors/diagrams here (large 212mb file):
    2006_LX.pdf

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Member

If there seems to be no pattern, my guess is the headlight switch.

6. hotan80min

hotan80min Member

I had a similar problem on my 2005 300c. It turned out to be the headlight switch. On my 300 I found that if I disconnected the switch all together and started the car, it turned on the headlights by default. They did not flicker while I had the switch disconnected so that pointed towards an issue with the switch. I replaced it with one from Rock Auto and have not had a problem since.

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

Or just a loose plug at the switch. If you just unplug and replace the switch and plug in, you might not realize that it could be a loose plug, and end up blaming the switch. In my experience, intermittent connections are more frequent than component failure.

8. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Member

I'd bet on a loose and/or corroded negative battery cable connector at the battery post.

9. valiant67

I can confirm that if you do unplug the headlight switch on these cars the lights do come on by default. That is a good test to see if it is the switch.

10. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Active Member

Many models have problems with the multi-function stalk switches. Take one apart, its very complicated inside with lots of different contacts, etc, to be able to switch a dozen different things from moving levers in multiple directions and switches that are mounted on moving parts, etc. Stuff inside fails and makes intermittent contact, etc. I'm sure RockAuto will tell you, they sell a lot of multi-function stalk switches for many different makes and models.

11. valiant67

The headlight switch on these cars is dash mounted. Only the dimmer is controlled via the stalk.

Rick Anderson likes this.
  12. Gerry G

Gerry G Member

Thanks for all of your input.

I am suspecting the switch itself. I was able to see the issue in action. It is not a flicker, the headlamps go out. Interesting part, I can flip the switch to off and the headlamps come back on, for a while. They will go out in a bit and flipping the switch back to on will turn them back on most of the time. Sometimes the dash lights will go out with the headlamps, other times they will stay on as if in the parking lamp position. Did not look at the parking lights as I was moving at the time. There were times the headlamps did not come on in any of the switch positions. Did not seem to be related at all to speed or road bumps.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Gerry G.

13. Gerry G

Gerry G Member

Replaced the headlamp switch. That seemed to be the problem. Took a nice long test drive and the headlamps stayed on. When I was removing the switch and popped it out of the dash, the headlamp on ding went off which kind of confirmed the suspicion since I did not move the switch at all.

Thanks much for all of your suggestions.

Gerry G.

14. Jason

Jason New Member

I NEED HELP!!! i have the same issue and replaced the headlight switch and my lights still flicker. When I unplug the switch my lights work perfectly whenever my car is on. Everything points to a bad headlight switch but installing a new one did nothing. I'm baffled

15. Scrounge

Scrounge Member

Where did you buy the new one? I had the same problem with the base 1-year warranty switch at O'Reilly's; when I exchanged it, the replacement was also bad. The next time I exchanged it, they upgraded me to a lifetime one at no extra charge, and it's been working fine since. The base switches were made in China; the lifetime one was made in Taiwan. I'd avoid Chinese-made electric parts.