Allpar Forums banner

I Want to To Flat Tow a 1986 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon w/Auto Trans....

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeA 
#1 ·
I Want to To Flat Tow a 1986 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon w/Auto Trans... Does anyone have the user manual for this car, and can tell me what it says about safe methods for towing it ? And / Or, what is required to flat tow it, I. E. Transmission fluid pump, or Axle Lock, Or ? Thanks in advance, Murl

#2 ·
If you tow short distances at low speeds you should be OK. The owner's manual says to put the car in neutral, tow it less than 100 miles at less than 45 MPH. Other than that, they recommend towing with the front wheels off the ground.
You could get around that if you kept the car running so the trans pump runs or you'd have to pull the axle shafts. At that point it's probably easier to put it on a dolly.

#5 ·
Very Helpful, good to know direct from the manual. The plan is to tow it behind my motorhome, and be road ready at all times. I will accrue many miles everytime I travel, and so the Dolly makes sense, but had a Dolly, sold it, because many parks do not allow the three vehicles, and it adds length and weight, that (I do not really want to haul). May need to look further into an electric transmission fluid pump install then. Thank You this was helpful, am getting this narrowed down.

#3 ·
Also, if you are towing with ANY wheels on the ground, there are quite a few states which require that the vehicle being towed have active license plates, and therefore, active insurance coverage. NY and MA are two such states.

Reactions: ScottB
#6 ·
Very Helpful reminder. The plan is to tow it behind my motorhome, and be road ready at all times. I will accrue many miles everytime I travel, and so the Dolly makes sense, but had a Dolly, sold it, because many parks do not allow the three vehicles, and it adds length and weight, that (I do not really want to haul). May need to look further into an electric transmission fluid pump install then. Thank You this was helpful, am getting this narrowed down.

#4 ·
A car dolly is the safest and easiest for any distance. It would also be better for the front bumper. Make sure the emergency brake is off!

#7 ·
Thanks, makes sense, and I agree. But . I will accrue many miles everytime I travel, and so the Dolly makes sense, but had a Dolly, sold it, because many parks do not allow the three vehicles, and it adds length and weight, that (I do not really want to haul). May need to look further into an electric transmission fluid pump install then. Thank You this was helpful, am getting this narrowed down.

#8 ·
This is why old Jeep Cherokees are very popular. Put transfer case in neutral and flat tow forever. I own Chrysler minivans and have never particularly wanted to tow one of them behind a motorhome because of the transmission pump required. A K car with manual transmission can be flat towed.

#10 ·
... had a Dolly, sold it, because many parks do not allow the three vehicles, and it adds length and weight, that (I do not really want to haul).
Not sure I get your point. The additional length and weight are minimal. The extra length makes the rig less likely to jackknife when backing up, in addition to simplifying the process (no special prep for the T&C).

#11 ·
I see this post is a few months old, but I have a bit of experience with this question. I bought a 2010 GC to flat tow behind my motorhome. It was the lightest 7 passenger I could find. To flat tow it required a special lubrication pump to keep the final drive lubricated while it was being towed. The pump is powered from the MH and relatively easily connects between the oil pan and one of the transmission cooling lines. I no longer have the MH but still have the pump.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.