NewsState of the Hemi, 2022 • Even Demon test cars live to be broken • FCA racks in NEMPA awards

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition key removal 2005 PT Cruiser

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Russell Smith, May 19, 2017.

1. Russell Smith

Russell Smith Member

First of all....why does it always state 2001-2004 or 2006-2010? Where is 2005? My 2005 has a detent knob that pops up when car is in park. If this knob does not pop up key cannot be removed. That is my current situation. How do I get my key out of the ignition.? I don;t have any thing but my key fob. No fancy chipped key just regular system.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The PT refresh took over in 2006. Many, but not all 2004 parts would fit a 2005. What are you looking for?
    The BTSI (brake-transaxle shift interlock) cable is adjustable if that is the problem. That is the one that only allows it to shift out of Park when your foot is on the brake.
    It also won't allow the key cylinder to return to 'off' if the transaxle isn't fully in Park. The shifter detent button must be popped up to allow this.
    I have also seen where the cable adjustment is correct, but the shifter or interlock cable links and levers are binding from years of dust/dirt/pet hair, etc inside the car.
    The BTSI cable has an inline electrical solenoid that 'pulls' on the cable when the rear brake lamps are activated in Park. That can also give problems.
    Diagnose first.
    A 2005 PT parts catalog is here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD4/02-05/05pt.PDF
    The shifter mechanism is shown in figure 41TE-1220. A service manual would give the shifter and interlock cable adjustment procedures.