NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is is safe to drive my Cruiser when tilt column won't lock?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Paperclip12, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Paperclip12

Paperclip12 New Member

I need to fix the problem of the tilt column but first I just want to know if it is safe to drive the car until I can fix it? I went to adjust the column last night and it wouldn't lock. Steering wheel moves up and down. Is it okay to drive to work and back (20 miles round trip)?

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

No, it's not safe to drive. Check the owner's manual.

saltydog and Bob Lincoln like this.
  3. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

Maybe take a door stop wedge and secure it in one position?

4. saltydog

saltydog Active Member

5. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

This has the potential to be a safety hazard.

ka9yhd and Doug D like this.
  6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Does the tilt column adjustment 'hold' lever feel disconnected? The upper and lower steering column shrouds separate after removing the screws from the lower shroud. The steering wheel can stay on.
    This may let you see what has happened to the mechanism.

7. Paperclip12

Paperclip12 New Member

Gosh, hope your idea works. Can't take care in yet...too busy...feel really scared about not getting this taken care of.....

8. ImperialCrown

First things first. The tilt-column mechanism can be examined with the plastic covers off (3 screws - steering wheel can stay on). Something may be disconnected and not broken.
    Seriously, taking corners must be difficult with the column moving up and down. An emergency maneuver could be bad, even with both hands on the wheel.

Doug D likes this.
  9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, we are all busy. You simply need to make time. If you need to drive this vehicle then this diagnosis/repair needs to be a top priority in terms of time and money. I couldn't even imagine trying to drive with the steering wheel possibly floating up and down.

10. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

I drove mine like that ONCE! My son had driven it before me and he's fat and always moves the steering wheel. I didn't notice that he'd forgotten to tighten it when he got out and found out on the first turn! Woohoo, I was just glad that nobody was pulling into the neighborhood at the time!

11. Paperclip12

Paperclip12 New Member

12. Paperclip12

Paperclip12 New Member

Thanks so much for your help. I am a 73-year-old woman so working on cars is something new for me, but, my financial situation makes some things necessary. I tried to unscrew the plastic cover. I could only find one screw at the very bottom of the plastic. It won't come off. Any idea where the other screws are? (2006 PT Cruiser). I have the day off so I am trying to see what is wrong.

13. Paperclip12

Paperclip12 New Member

Success!! I should start by saying it had been years since I had moved the tilt column. I finally found the two other screws. After removing the plastic I couldn't find anything that seemed broken in any way. As I moved the "lock mechanism" up and down, suddenly it "locked" in the "up" position. ;) Not broken!!! I just hadn't pushed it up far enough when trying to lock it! Cannot tell you how relieved I am! Thank you all so so much for your help. It has been scary thinking I could have an accident or injure someone else. I have never taken a risk with my car and, until these last six months never had to worry about getting it fixed. So, thanks again for your help.

14. ImperialCrown

15. Paperclip12

Paperclip12 New Member

Thanks again. Can't wait to drive to work tomorrow not worrying about having an accident!

chuzz likes this.