Allpar Forums banner

Like vehicle towing capabilities.

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  grostig 
#1 ·
I am disappointed with the fact that my Challenger can only tow 1000 lbs, I have read others that have remark the same and one purchased a non MOPAR for that reason. Why do the cars and CUVs have low ratings? Will that Change real soon?

#2 ·
With the popularity of half-ton trucks as daily drivers along with the prevalence of independent, sport-tuned rear suspensions, I don't forsee towing being a priority in cars. I can see it for SUVs, even maybe for crossovers, but since most buyers of cars never put a hitch on the car I don't think that it's a high priority for the manufacturers. If they do choose to augment towing then I expect commercial-capable platforms like minivans to get attention first.

#3 ·
I come from an era where passenger car towing around here was normal. With people my age retiring I don't see many buying an extra vehicle just for towing. The towing option for a 1968 Chrysler included a receiver, did not find a mention about the diff ratio heavy rear springs, police brakes and a trans cooler and gave a capacity of 5000 lbs, Cost $57, if you add an increase of 20 times the amount that would still be a bargain today. Lets face it only Jeep and Durango offer any capabilities SUV category. While fuel economy being OK but not in the passenger car range and not the best for crowded parking lots. With every division being responsible for profit I think a towing option should be available. The 8 speed trans gives the opportunity for a towing diff while returning great fuel economy. Maybe its time for a station wagon again, that could lead to a sedan. Again I've read complaints about "Chrysler passenger vehicle" towing capabilities.

#4 ·
Well, as you've expressed your dissatisfaction with your Challenger's published towing specifications, I sometimes wonder if they just don't really even evaluate a given platform for towing, and pick an artificially low rating just to give it one. But, I don't know for sure obviously...

#5 ·
I suspect low tow ratings keep warranty issues down, for sure the 4 speed won;t cut it. With a new line of transmissions I hope the tow ratings go up.

#8 ·
A gentleman's hotrod would be a 300, not a Challenger, in my opinion.

I actually fully support all vehicles being capable of towing at least something. In my state trailers do not have to be insured and the permanent registration plates are only a one-time $125. This means that it's a lot cheaper to keep a small utility trailer on one's property for occasional use than it is to keep a pickup truck, which has to be insured and has to have its registration renewed... Plus can have more go wrong with it.

#9 ·
jerseyjoe said:
I come from an era where passenger car towing around here was normal. With people my age retiring I don't see many buying an extra vehicle just for towing. The towing option for a 1968 Chrysler included a receiver, did not find a mention about the diff ratio heavy rear springs, police brakes and a trans cooler and gave a capacity of 5000 lbs, Cost $57, if you add an increase of 20 times the amount that would still be a bargain today. Lets face it only Jeep and Durango offer any capabilities SUV category. While fuel economy being OK but not in the passenger car range and not the best for crowded parking lots. With every division being responsible for profit I think a towing option should be available. The 8 speed trans gives the opportunity for a towing diff while returning great fuel economy. Maybe its time for a station wagon again, that could lead to a sedan. Again I've read complaints about "Chrysler passenger vehicle" towing capabilities.
A few points:
In 1968, truck saturation of the marketplace was only approx. 7%, today it's 50-51%.
Cars were then Body on Frame, today they are Unitbody.
Cars then had solid rear axles, today they are Independent Suspension.
Cars then had little emission requirements, cars today are highly regulated.
Cars then had no CAFE requirements, cars today have 27 mpg.
Cars then were RWD, cars today are mostly FWD.
Cars then were big and heavy, cars today are relatively smaller.

The statement that the rating is conservative, might be true, but it implies you can tow more, and that is a dangerous misperception.
If you exceed the rating and are involved in an accident, your insurance company will likely not defend you and leave you high and dry for damages and liability, so do not ever exceed the rating.

Lastly, towing with a car is unsafe and how we avoided more towing disasters than we had in the 1960's is a miracle.
To properly and safely tow one needs brakes, sway control, heavy duty cooling, heavy duty electrical and low rpm torque.
None of those are now found in modern cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.