NewsFiery finish for Beckman – Updated with points • The official vehicle of Canada Day • Ram leaving “big rig” look behind?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at a Pacifica tomorrow

Discussion in 'Chrysler Chat' started by saltydog, Jun 15, 2017.

1. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

You're in the same heat bubble we're suffering from. As I write, we're at 111 Degrees F at 6:55 PM MST Sunday. We're edging into a potential 120 Degree Tuesday. If it doesn't make it to 120, who cares? I'm already done on this side :D

Really awkward to say, but that's the best time to test the A/C - when things are at or very near their worst. Now you know for future reference. The factory tint on a window wagon doesn't stand up really well against a climate that tests the limits. I have a very, very old minivan with clear windows, factory tint on the windshield only, and yet live in the Phoenix, Arizona area - the dry heat capital. Anyway, the windows round the van work against the A/C.

Did you test it with rear A/C working simultaneous? If so and you weren't impressed, that could be quite a negative ding right there. Since I don't work with my hand-held, but for Texting or emergency calling, CarPlay or Android is not relatable, so I'll hold off there. Low-end to Moderate window tint - an aftermarket further cost - could, maybe, possibly, help the effectiveness of the A/C; but it's your money/payment and you have to feel confident of your choice.

Definitely thank you for the review. Include anything else that comes to mind you think might help round-out the picture.

saltydog likes this.
  2. DBY2014

DBY2014 Member

If Apple Carplay is desired because you want to use your iPhone for music then you should be fine even without it. The Uconnect system will still see all the music on your phone and you can play that music through the radio without issue. As already stated, Carplay is mostly useful for navigation and texting. A really good phone mount would solve that issue anyway. I wouldn't let the absence of Carplay be that big of an impact on your decision.

saltydog likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

For music, just shove it onto a USB drive instead of hooking up your phone each time or saturating the interior with radio waves... for the navigation, well, the internal nav isn't bad. I don't see CarPlay as a make or break, the difference just isn't that big.

Illegal Machine and DC-93 like this.
  4. desavona

desavona Member

Do yourself a favor and get ceramic window tint. Blocks the heat wonderfully. I have it on my Pacifica and it allows the a/c to work without struggling. I'm going to get the tint for my charger next.

saltydog likes this.
  5. saltydog

saltydog Active Member

Thank you for that, I remember hearing about that from a friend a while back. I will look into it.

6. saltydog

saltydog Active Member

I did have both A/C's on, once we got moving on the highway at 55-65 mph, the A/C was just fine so I think it would be ok the long run, it just lacked while driving in traffic on the surface streets, where my T&C has no issues with this. I thinking airflow might be an issue with the Pacifica. I will need to test drive another Pacifica, just to see if they are the same.

I lived with my A/C in my 2006 Mitsubishi Raider(aka Dodge Dakota) and is was poor and would only get cold after 30 mins or so of driving.

7. saltydog

saltydog Active Member

I believe you are correct, it will not be a make or break. I have just become so accustomed to using it on my Truck, that it is hard to not have it on our other vehicle.

What I use CarPlay the most for: Texting and Charging my phone. I just plug in and throw my phone in the center counsel and forget about it. I do use the Music function as well, but that is not a big deal, though I do like the Pandora function much better than my Ram's app via blutooth.

I have used the Apple maps a few times and it is so easy, that I have never used my internal Nav, just tap the mic icon and say where you need to go and Siri is far better at finding the correct location, then any internal Nav system I have used.

8. Dave Z

FCA has a built in texting system and you can charge your phone regardless. I do prefer the Apple nav system but it's not a big deal for me either way.

saltydog likes this.
  9. saltydog

saltydog Active Member

Your right, I forget about the Siri Handsfree in my Ram.

10. Dave Z

FCA has their own hands-free text system built in on the newer cars.

11. saltydog

saltydog Active Member

Oh, I did not know that. Good too know.

12. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

I'm currently driving an ancient Mazda MPV where the same situation you describe for A/C effectiveness on Surface Streets is what we experience.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts once again if you choose to test another Pacifica.

Your pictures showed a darn nice ride. The interior looked very, very nice.

Best to ya on your search -

saltydog likes this.
  13. DC-93

DC-93 Member

Ahhh, brings back memories of HOT TESTING at the APG back in 1990!! :cool:

14. Dave Z

Our 300 has fine a/c — the Dart is better than some imports I’ve driven, but really isn’t sufficient. Then again, any more power to the compressor would make the driving even worse.

15. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable Level III Supporter

I was told that I had that on my Charger, but it either doesn't have it or it has never functioned.