NewsWho makes the “most American” vehicles? • Meet the upgraded 2018 Durangos • Rumored Challenger Hellcat Widebody: it’s real

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopar in pro-stock

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by prowler, Mar 20, 2017.

1. prowler

prowler Member

What in god's name has happened to Allen Johnson? He can't even get his car down the track. How did one of the most efficient operations come to the level that it's at? Watching yesterdays race was painful especially with all the Chevy's. All last year the Mopar's were down on power and just about got smoked every race. Same thing this year. What is going on?????

2. bill burke

bill burke New Member

The R+D dollars from Mopar that were small last season have dried up completely this year as Mopar has pulled support for Pro Stock. Pro Stock unfortunately has drifted too far from a "stock" car and that loses informed fan interest. Ford and Dodge had proposals on the table to revamp Pro Stock with more stock appearance and less exotic engines, I have read from an insider. That was rejected by Chevy and NHRA who have always been linked at the hip, and Ford pulled out and Dodge followed a year later. Both brands have chosen to put more money into sportsman racing. An almost all Chevy Pro Stock racing will soon become irrelevant and fans will lose interest quickly. Time to make the factory showdown stock class the new Pro Stock and use the factory built cars that fans love, and that small racers can campaign on a reasonable budget. I feel the old Pro Stock cars might work as the new Funny Cars, with a few minor modifications like nitro fuel mixtures, larger tires, and little other changes. Again that might bring more participants with smaller assets to compete and fans to watch cars that today are more like airplanes than cars. Too many seats are empty at NHRA events and fans are talking with their pocketbooks and staying home.

Wade in Minnie likes this.
  3. mopar22

mopar22 Member

That and on top of that when they limited the rpm range that really hurt the hemi's as they make more power after the rpm limit.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  4. danbek

danbek Member

I now fast forward through pro stock, I couldn't care less and find it hard to believe that NHRA is so short sighted

5. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore Active Member Level III Supporter

2016 Pro Stock Problems, Solutions, and the Future - Hot Rod Network (at http://www.hotrod.com/articles/2016-pro-stock-problems-solutions-future/ )

6. Beentherebefore

I am ff too, for the first time in 25 years. I don't waste my time watching "Pro-Camaro" or any other series that features "Brand C" with no effective competition from other brands, particularly Mopars.

danbek likes this.
  7. Beentherebefore

There's been serious discussion about that for quite some time. If as many people continue to "boycott" PS as I am hearing about (including myself), a changeover to something close to the new "Factory Stock' class might just happen. Mopar is way behind there too as Ford has been pouring $$$ into supporting about a dozen top FS teams and Mopar couldn't even hang onto David Barton who just cleaned up in his "Brand C" FSer @ the Gators. The other problem is that the current entrenched PS teams have lots of $$$ invested in their current setups and won't go down without a fight. NHRA would probably offer to put them into Comp Elim where they would be racing for 10% of the purse that they race for now. Mr Anderson & Mr Line would not be happy.

Dave Z likes this.
  8. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator Level 2 Supporter

NHRA's updated rules for Pro Stock are not favorable for the Hemi's. That's the bottom line. It has nothing to do with R&D or how much money Mopar pays to support the racers in the class.

Mike

Smitman, Dave Z and Devildodge like this.
  9. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

When you can't beat Mopar or Furd...change the rules

dana44 and Dave Z like this.
  10. Mike V.

It's the truth. The RPM limit for the fuel injection era kills the Hemi.

Mike

11. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

One thing I have always told my Furd and Shivy friends...when mopar finally supercharges their cars you will lose hands down everytime...now look what they are giving us and how the other brands haven't won.

And as history has shown numerous times...change the rules.

Go to ford or chevy social media...they aren't saying one thing about straight line acceleration.

I wish the run what you brung class (whatever that would be) could be more showcased on the national level beyond reality shows.

Mopar rules the race tracks and drag strips...but always loses to the rule book

hemirunner426 and Dodgeguy1961 like this.
  12. Mike V.

Ultimately the rules change that was supposed to help Pro Stock be more relevant is actually making it less relevent.

Mike

danbek likes this.
  13. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

That is what i was trying to say...I unfortunately am ignorant to the classes...they can't see the Mopar village is growing and they keep building walls

14. prowler

prowler Member

I realize that Mopar has pulled out of PS but as far as AJ is concerned he's been at this game for years. Obviously the engines are down on power but as last year his car won't even launch half the time. A few years ago when he was PS champion his car took off like a rocket ship. Between last season and this season, he can barely get off the line. Why is his Dart unable to make complete passes and just about every Chevy goes from point A to B with no problems? It just seems to me that with all AJ racing experience launching the car to go from point A to B would be the least of issues for this team.

15. Mike V.

When he won the championship several years ago he had a completely different car with completely engine setup and completely different people tuning the suspension.

Letting Jim Yates go was a huge mistake.

Mike