NewsFiery finish for Beckman – Updated with points • The official vehicle of Canada Day • Ram leaving “big rig” look behind?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopar in pro-stock

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by prowler, Mar 20, 2017.

1. prowler

prowler Member

AJ looked pretty good this time. That was until Jegs made his run. But Allen is getting somewhat closer. But man the field is sparse. What is going on? I think the mandatory FI set ups are killing whats left of pro stock. Seems like everything is mainly centered around TF and FC.

2. DGRider

DGRider Member

AJ bumped to 7th starting position. Does seem as though they have found something as his MPH is right there, even though the ET is a bit off. Regardless of where the season goes or how it ends, you gotta admire them for keeping up the good fight here.

The biggest obstacle...as mentioned above, is that AJ has never done real well at Bristol. Here's hoping he bucks the trend.

BTW...if you make your way to Bristol...try Macado's for eats. Ate there last week (prime rib sandwich), and man was it good!

3. DGRider

DGRider Member

4. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore Active Member Level III Supporter

They haven't had full fields at most of their events this year- another indication that the Pro Stock rules might be a-changin'.

5. prowler

prowler Member

I don't see it in the pro stock class alone. I think drag racing in general is dying. Race after race, (all but a couple) there are too many empty seats. This has been going on now for the last several years. I think it's quite possible that in the near future NHRA might be the first professional racing body that files for bankruptcy. I don't mean to sound like Dr.Doom but how much longer can they keep going like this? Drag racing as a sport used to be relevant but it's probably out of all the different bodies of racing in this day and age, the most unrelateable. It's become a circus revolving around TF and FC. As far as I'm concerned both of these top classes are right back where they were before they decided to shorten the quarter mile. They are once again over powering these cars and not only do we, on a consistent basis, rarely see two cars go down the track at the same time but you can almost count on one them having an engine failure of some sorts. Their all right back to where they were when they were racing the entire length of the quarter mile.

6. mopar22

mopar22 Member

Last weeks race was the highest viewed NHRA race ever so it's not dying

Beentherebefore likes this.
  7. Beentherebefore

At an NHRA event, the seat occupancy is not always an indicator of attendance. I have been to many NHRA races where there are more spectators in the pits than in the stands, even during elims. They got a big $$$ package from Fox this year and they have had record (for them) TV viewership. Virtually all major sports are down in attendance and TV viewership but way up in social media" coverage".

8. Beentherebefore

For those that didn't watch it, AJ had the second best ET of the first round.

Unfortunately, his .089 reaction time was not even in the realm of being competitive and he lost to a slower driver who had a .061 rt which, in itself, is nothing to write home about.

9. prowler

prowler Member

The bad thing is is that AJ for the first time had a car that actually could have taken it to the winners circle. His time was as fast as the rest, save for a couple of them. But the couple of cars, Jegs and Butler lost in the end to the car that AJ should have won against. But as you said, and when I saw the moment that .089, it was over again! Had he got a comparable light he probably would have advanced.

Still.....stands looked pretty empty through out most of the race.

10. Beentherebefore

An .089 light doesn't even qualify as a "late light", imo. It's taking a vacation at the Xmas Tree!

11. Beentherebefore

AJ closed the gap down to .025 and approx 1 mph for first day qualifying @ Norwalk. Currently sitting in the #8 spot.

12. prowler

prowler Member

I'm not sure how they're generating that, but through out the entire finals for the most part, the stands were spotty at best. So unless people are more interested in hot dogs and sodas, I don't know where they would have been. BUT....in saying that, it is becoming a more typical sight with drag racing. And it's been getting worse as racing time goes by. I realize it's not just drag racing but it's showing more so at almost every event.

13. DGRider

DGRider Member

AJ ended up 7th with a 6.623 208.91 (right in front of Enders).
    Skillman was 1st with a 6.593 209.92 . Skillman and line were the only ones in the 6.50's.

Both Summit cars had best speeds of just over 210.

14. mopar22

mopar22 Member

More and more people are watching racing at home and nhra has a lot more behind the scenes so a lot of people are in the pits at all times

15. pt006

pt006 Member

I stopped watching nascar when I saw a tokeeota painted with the American flag. Drag racing on tv doesn't do it for me. Last time I watched it was mostly yakity-yak and very little racing. And people drinking the yellow kool-aid. I cannot relate to much of todays racing. AA/FD are interesting technically and watching them in person is well... overwhelming [great]. Pro-stock reminds me of the old AHRA pro-mod.

I was lucky enough to see drag racing when most of the cars at the track were common street cars. Many brands. All lined up and ready to race. One pair after another. Constant racing. It only stopped when someone oiled down the track or a rare accident occurred. And the rail cars had to be push started. The AA Altereds were the most unpredictable. Scary would be a better term. ---- good times---