NewsBehind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 01' PT Cruiser-What to check first?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Hawley-01PTCruiser, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Hawley01PTCruiser

Hawley01PTCruiser New Member

There is a vent in the middle front dashboard by the windshield. Mine is cracked and breaking apart. I did a Google search and it looks like that vent is built into the whole big plastic piece, so I can't buy the vent separately. Has anyone found an aftermarket solution to the broken vent? If not, has anyone replaced this whole plastic piece? The replacement piece isn't terribly expensive but I wonder if it's something my husband can snap in, or whether it requires special tools.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The top dash panel demister grille gets deteriorated by sunlight which eventually fades and embrittles it.
    I am not aware of any aftermarket panels or repair kits. Someone here may chime in if there is a less expensive way.
    The panel is held on by one screw behind the power window switch pod. The switch pod is held in by clips and lifts out by prying with a blunt tool like a flatblade screwdriver (trim stick). Use care not to mar the plastic finish.
    After that screw is removed, the top dash panel unclips from the dashboard and the new one goes in by reversing the removal procedure.
    See 8E-20 in the service manual for the panel R&R pictures and the procedure.
    It looks like only one color panel was offered in 2001. Taupe?
    I see a latest Mopar part # of 0RB71WL8AN. Google around for your best deal.

Hawley01PTCruiser likes this.
  3. CudaPete

CudaPete Active Member Ad-Free Member

I cut out the plastic and installed some very coarse mesh screen used to cover gutters. You can do this without having to remove the dash cover. After cutting out the original just slide into place since the screen is flexible. . I painted it flat black to reduce glare on the windshield.

4. Hawley01PTCruiser

I had good news from the mechanic. Mechanically the car is in excellent condition. The only two issues were that the back brakes needed cleaning and the spark plugs were the original ones. The center motor mount had no issues, the cooling system, transmission, belts, and hoses were all in great shape. He's changing out the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners. What a relief! I ordered a new dash piece to replace the crumbling one. Thanks again for everyone's help here. It was valuable advice.
    One question about the audio. The factory stereo/speakers is pretty bad. I need to change that out. My husband is going to take that on. Did any of you do that yourself? Did you use the the sound deadening behind the speakers?

5. Neanderthal

Neanderthal New Member

My wife has a 2001 PT LTD, just shy of 70,000. We bought it in 2002 w 6000 miles on it.
    It's been a sturdy hauler and pretty much trouble-free. I recently had a bunch of front end bushings replaced. I'm wondering if the struts and shocks should be replaced too. I don't recall what it rode like when new, but it seems a bit harsh now.

I fitted an aftermarket cabin air filter long ago, not too difficult.

Good luck with your PeTey!

6. Hawley01PTCruiser

What aftermarket cabin air filter did you go with? I'm going to have mine detailed after it's painted and I want to add an air filter.

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Make sure that your PT has the cavity for a cabin filter first, some early ones just relied on the mesh cowl fresh air intake screen.
    If the filter is behind the glovebox, place an old newspaper on the carpet under it before removing it as you never know what may fall out of it. Some have come out fairly clean while others have dumped a load of tree debris out of them upon removal.
    My wife likes the Febreeze ones with the light scent.
    There are also more expensive ones that are HEPA-certified. These are good for those with respiratory issues.
    I have noticed that the interior stays less dusty with the cabin air filter. They really do make a difference.
    Many times CAF maintenance is forgotten as this filter is out of sight, out of mind.

8. GLHS60

GLHS60 Member

As IC mentioned, Platinum plugs can cause driveability issues with "waste spark ignition" as used on your PT.

If you had Platinum plugs installed and experience an occasional miss fire, cough etc. keep this in mind.

Copper were installed for this reason.

PT's are "great trucks", you will probably really enjoy it!!!

Thanks
    Randy

9. CudaPete

CudaPete Active Member Ad-Free Member

Platinum plugs work fine in the PT. Had them in for 100K. No issues.

10. GLHS60

GLHS60 Member

It was stated they can cause driveability issues not that they will.

I have personally experienced the issue and was confirming IC's heads up on the issue.

Copper were specified for this reason.

Thanks
    Randy

11. Neanderthal

Neanderthal New Member

I purchased or ordered it from ChryCo. Mopar K6858438 5-14-01.
    It goes in under the windshield washer fluid tank.

The one in my Soul goes in WAAAAY easier.

I had to install the holder thingie. Our PT didn't have a mount where these videos show it. I installed that.
    I usually move the WSW fluid thing and prop it up & out of the way.

cabin air filter 2001 pt cruiser - AOL Video Search Results

Someone buy these people electric drills!

12. Neanderthal

Neanderthal New Member

OEM Chrysler PT Cruiser Cabin Air Filter Complete Kit 82206886
    by Mopar

Found at Amazon.

13. pt006

pt006 Member

Keep an eye on the operation of radiator fan. Lower control arm - rear vertical bushings are a weak point.

14. Hawley01PTCruiser

I also had the power steering fluid flushed. The PT was making some noise when turning. It turned out that the fluid was very dirty and perfectly fixed my issue (my mechanic didn't even charge me for that!). There is one other known issue--the air conditioning won't blow cold. It's the computer that manages the ground that's gone bad (as my mechanic explained). He's looking for a good deal on the computer. Anyone had this happen? In the meanwhile, my husband's installing the new sound (speakers/head). He'll put in the new plastic dash piece when he's done.

15. Hawley01PTCruiser

What's the indicator that there's a problem?