NewsWho makes the “most American” vehicles? • Meet the upgraded 2018 Durangos • Rumored Challenger Hellcat Widebody: it’s real

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 01' PT Cruiser-What to check first?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Hawley-01PTCruiser, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

After driving until warmed-up, you can sit for a few minutes at idle and the radiator/condenser fan should come on. The fan is a 2-speed unit and it is possible to have one speed working, but not the other.
    The temperature gauge should be at or slightly below the half-way mark.
    You may be able to hear the fan running from the driver's seat, or you may need to pop the hood and lift it up to confirm that the fan is running.
    The fan is also needed for cooling the condenser when the A/C is on.
    When driving down the road with air blowing through the grille, the fan isn't really needed. It only is there to assist cooling for when the car is sitting still or moving in stop & go traffic.

The front control arm bushings can slip out of position. The rubber bond to the outer steel shell breaks and the arm drops down to rest on the frame (cross-member).
    Drivers-ControlBushing1_zps976e02c0.jpg
    Pass-ContolBush_zps298824d7.jpg
    You may hear a 'clatter' over bumps as the arm rattles against the frame, but it is not a dangerous condition. The arm can't come apart on you or wear tires.
    The arm has to be removed from the car and you can press the old bushing out and press a new one in:
    002749095.jpg
    If the ball joints are worn or you don't have access to a press, replace the arm assembly.
    moog-moog-k620009-large-1.jpg
    It may be a good idea to have a front end alignment afterwards, just to be sure nothing has changed.

Hawley01PTCruiser likes this.
  2. Hawley01PTCruiser

Hawley01PTCruiser New Member

My husband installed the new top dash panel when he put in the new stereo, and it looks beautiful. I got the new panel for $185 delivered, which was a good deal. Thanks for the help on this one.

3. Hawley01PTCruiser

I didn't get a remote key fob when I bought the car. There are so many conflicting discussions about whether an owner can buy a remote on the internet and then program it themselves. So, can I? (This is a 2001 PT Cruiser.) Or do I have to go to the dealer, who wants to charge me $150?
    Thanks for the help,
    Linda

4. Hawley01PTCruiser

Yesterday as I was at a stoplight the radiator started to overheat. I got off the road right away and turned the car off. My husband met me with water and he filled it to get the car to our mechanic.The mechanic has it today diagnosing the issue. I told him about your post about the fan. We'll see how it plays out.

5. Hawley01PTCruiser

All it needed was a new radiator cap! The seal had deteriorated over time, which caused the issue. That was one cheap repair!

6. Hawley01PTCruiser

I've had my PT about 1 1/2 months now. I have a question about how it drives. I can feel every bump/pothole when driving. Is this normal for a PT, or do I need to have my mechanic look at the suspension? If its normal, has anyone made any changes to have it drive smoother?
    Thanks for the help,
    Linda

7. ImperialCrown

Tire pressures OK? Higher pressures will make it ride hard.
    A 'clunk' or 'knock' noise over bumps may make it feel like it is riding harder than it actually is. Is the suspension quiet, but stiff over bumps?

Hawley01PTCruiser likes this.
  8. Hawley01PTCruiser

I'll check the tire pressure today. Yes, the suspension is quiet, just stiff over bumps. Much more than my Toyota.

9. ImperialCrown

The tires themselves can make a difference in ride. Stiff, low profile sidewalls for cornering performance will make for a harder ride than more pliant, taller softer construction tires.
    After the aluminum 16" rims on my dad's PT corroded badly, I found some steel 15" rims and added an inch to the replacement tire height so that the overall height and speedometer reading wouldn't be affected. A benefit of that change was a much softer, supple ride.

10. AC TC

AC TC Active Member

They were quite stiff from the factory, atleast euro models.
    - but on the other they are quite fun to turn with....