Allpar Forums banner

New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage

86K views 602 replies 69 participants last post by  redriderbob 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Evolution for sure. Door/window height changes along with the drip rail running all the way back on the hardtop to close to the corner. Interesting that the rear section is covered basically where I think the modular aspect of the new hardtop will be seen. The corners are either hard or will be soft if power top is installed. Also interesting that the drip rail runs that far back. If the side window are removable it would make sense..... :)

#17 · (Edited)
The fenders seem to protrude less as well. No doubt to aid aerodynamics. But Jeepers tend to prefer wider, not narrower fenders. Many use the plastic fenders as side "bumpers" to protect the sheetmetal against rocks or other hard surfaces in offcamber situations .

Putting a gash on my rear fender

#18 ·
Looking at the roof seam..

Seems very similar to the Africa concept:

also I'm curious why they're seemingly hiding the door hinges and handles.. you think there's going to be some neat trick to them?

#52 ·
I'm under the impression and based on your above conversation that the new Jeep Truck could look something like this:

A quick edit of the Africa concept seems to reveal the 4 door truck and we approve, Assuming this would be the correct bed length.
No.

#51 ·
Doesn't mean there are other design factors that made removable doors impractical......

But again, Jeep would just be shooting themselves in the foot, if they designed the doors with so many electronic do-dads and convenience features, they made the removable door impractical, cause like you said, the safety regs are written that doors couldn't be used for strength even if you wanted to do that.

The fold down windshield, while retained, became more and more difficult to fold down every generation. That is because its integral for safety, and as we know, with the new roof crush standards it will probably be gone for good along with other things. The doors and windshield have different requirements, so one does not necessarily follow the other in new designs. Its very possible removable doors are still there....

#64 ·

Droop... what droop?

You are seeing an optical illusion due to the angle of the vehicle and the camera and the fact that it is a preproduction vehicle.

Mike

Reactions: dmcdonald
G
#65 ·
Ok.. let's rib the new guy.. But you're using the wrong pic..

Note in the middle of the current side step / running boards image.. there IS a slight droop in the over all design. Besides the running board alone is too long & too wide.. I would rather see a slim line rail type steps or rock rails. Needless to say IF we had a chance to examine this jeep when it appears on the lot.. and that droop is still noticeable.. We'd either have them remove those boards or search for another jeep that doesn't have them.

#67 ·
Ok.. let's rib the new guy.. But you're using the wrong pic..

Note in the middle of the current side step / running boards image.. there IS a slight droop in the over all design. Besides the running board alone is too long & too wide.. I would rather see a slim line rail type steps or rock rails. Needless to say IF we had a chance to examine this jeep when it appears on the lot.. and that droop is still noticeable.. We'd either have them remove those boards or search for another jeep that doesn't have them.
Remember these are just mules... these are the b*stard children of the development process to get pre-production right. Anything could be changed.

#79 ·
I don't like those grab handles. JK has limited room as it is. The dash/steering wheel/controls are all stacked on top of each other like cookies. That huge grab handle looks like it would encroach on what little "personal space" I've got. Hmm....

Otherwise I love the changes I'm seeing so far. I will likely get one but will wait for the 2019s to see what delayed options become available.

#84 ·
I don't like those grab handles. JK has limited room as it is. The dash/steering wheel/controls are all stacked on top of each other like cookies. That huge grab handle looks like it would encroach on what little "personal space" I've got. Hmm....

Otherwise I love the changes I'm seeing so far. I will likely get one but will wait for the 2019s to see what delayed options become available.
It's not a JK ;)

#91 ·
#93 ·
The handle itself is certainly different in form..Not sure what else to make of it.

#99 ·
It could be the camo, but there isn't a gap between the front bumper and fender (as we've expected). I don't see the location of a center brake light, either over the spare or in or above the rear window, but that just means the camo is working, not that there's a change. After careful scrutiny, my guess is they lowered the recommended tire pressure by 4 pounds.

G
#100 ·
According to the new pics.. there are 2 mule JL's running around.. One's outfitted with smalled (street type tires) and those crappy running boards.. (Sport or Sahara maybe) and the other is defiantly a Rubicon, red shocks, larger tires and a slim/close mounted rocker rail..

So if anyone hasn't guessed this already, I'll say "New Wheels" that's my answer.

Oh and Mike.. I'm defiantly not a pro at editing images and I don't have photoshop.. I'm just using what I have to create something others can see. So I'm aware of the jeep NOT being a unibody..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.