NewsFiery finish for Beckman – Updated with points • The official vehicle of Canada Day • Ram leaving “big rig” look behind?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next climate control motor failure?

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by Bob Lincoln, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

Last year I replaced the recirc motor on my wife's 2012 Chrysler 200, as it was clacking badly with engine on or off when recirc was selected. A replacement part from Rockauto solved the problem. Looked at the old motor, and there were no missing or loose teeth, so I don't know how it failed.

Last night my wife tells me there is a 'ghost' in the car behind the dash. I went out to the car this morning and before I even raised the hood or started it, heard a low moan and tapping from the cowl. Sure enough, I started it and turned on the fan, and every time I changed the mode selection (heat, defrost, vent), it made a faint moaning and tapping noise. So either the motor is bad, or the door in the airbox is binding and needs to be lubed. At only 54K miles.
    Anyone have this particular failure?

Next will be the temperature blend door motor!

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The door servo gears can override and make a 'clicking' noise if the doors are binding or sticking. The door edges may have rubber flaps to seal the door completely shut. I have used silicone spray to keep them pliable and slippery.
    I have also found interference inside the HVAC boxes from items that may have fallen through the defrost/vent openings.
    The servo itself may still be OK if the gears haven't been broken. Test the servo/door shaft turning torque by hand.

3. Bob Lincoln

I haven't been in there yet, but do you know if it's fairly easy to get at? The recirc door was fairly easy. This is more toward the center stack.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

If you can get it ticking, feel up under the driver's side of the HVAC housing to see if you can locate it by touch. You may have to contort yourself and use a light to help you wiggle up under the dash.
    I don't think that there is anything to see on the passenger side of the HVAC.

5. 2012srtchallenger

2012srtchallenger Member Supporter

I had to put heater core in a 200 and an actuator,the actuator was accessed through glove box.its been a while but there was at least 2 actuators behind the glove box

6. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

My 200 now has 154,000 miles on it and my son let me know that when he switches positions on the a/c and defrost, that it makes a clicking noise. Said it's been doing it for about a month. Sure enough, I had to try it and it only does it in the defrost mode. I can turn it off, reset it to dash vents only and it doesn't do it. It's too freaking hot to fool with it right now, so I may wait until December or January to check it out. Which ever month gives me the 3 day winter that we have with lows in 40's and highs in the 60's. Perfect weather for me. Bob, how did you go about accessing the motor in your wifes car?

7. Bob Lincoln

I think it makes the noise in every mode on my wife's car.
    To fix the recirc motor, I had to remove the glovebox, which was easy and gave lots of hand and arm room to reach in. But the motor was barely visible, though I could reach it easily. So I had to use a right-angle screwdriver and go by feel to get the mounting screws out, swap it and re-attach it. And to get my arms in the right place, I had to lie across the console and let it dig into my ribs. Total was 40 minutes, including looking on Youtube videos as I worked.

8. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

Okay, thanks Bob. I do have a couple of right angle screwdrivers and (according to my wife) long, orangutan arms! I haven't noticed it the past couple of days, so am leaving it alone for now.