Allpar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Next gen large cars

315K views 2K replies 146 participants last post by  Christopher 
#1 ·
This is very unofficial but I was told today to expect an announcement in the next few months regarding the next large cars...

#328 ·
I've heard that if you jump up and down in the driver's seat, gas mileage will improve but others might stare...... okay, okay....... I know..... I'm returning back to my hole. ;)

Before I go...... I understand everyone has different pocket-books and situations, and have been there and can fully relate.

I.M.H.O. the Hemi's gas mileage is pretty dog-gone impressive. Jack-rabbit starts and gunning the vehicle on on/off-ramps are not a fair methods to gauge gas mileage..... most buy a Hemi and stick their foot in it then get upset with the gas mileage. By the way, am NOT saying those posting on this site are guilty of anything stated, just wish to point out the obvious for those we all witness passing us wide-open throttle most of the time on the highways then complain about gas mileage...... I'm looking at you Mr. Texter/coffee drinker and Ms./Mrs. Makeup artist while driving and not paying attention.

I've owned several Hemi's and drive a 2015 3.6 Charger regularly and a family member owns a 2013 Charger and have a fairly decent experience with Hemi and Pentastar. Here's my take on it...... drive what YOU can afford and be happy.

#337 ·
After three years of 105 miles of round trip daily commutes, I have learned a great deal about the 300s and its 3.6ltr/ZF tranny. Example, at a light, start off slow but never rising above 2K RPM (if the traffic is light enough without getting ran over). Allow gravity to help the car since it has low rolling tires, low frictional hubs/axles, something that VW next gen ZF 10-speed tranny will take advantage of. After replacing the front pads that did not require it, use the auto stick (ZF's 'T' shifter only: Drive to Low shifting) in slowing to the light then brake. The computer assist function will help in stopping the car. Never above 58 MPH (if possible). This is the sweet spot for 2011-2014 300s (basic/limited models) aero packages. Even going up the hill, never above 2K RPM. The car will do around 1200-1800rpm DEPENDING on the angle of the hill.

RESULT: 31 going home/40-41MPG going to work/Canyon run 27-28MPG

#343 ·

C-pillar to the rear of the car... is the focal point of the next Charger.. lights and exhaust will be different...
The "Race-Track" LEDs are legitimately one of my favourite features on a Charger, and are actually very practical for visibility in a storm...

#383 ·
The time and energy that they are spending to squeeze every penny of margin out of every vehicle is costing them far more.

#386 · (Edited)
Nissan is of the same mindset. They spend more time looking for ways to cut corners, to extract more than they bargained for, flip-flopping and getting everything done at the last minute, than just doing it right.

They think that this means being "innovative and exciting".

From a vendor's perspective, Nissan bargains to no end, but ends up spending a lot more than its competitors for the exact same work.

#387 · (Edited)
Might be generation gap. Plymouth Plaza, Road Runner, Superbee base 1968 Charger, and Newport, 2007 Base 300, had them all, nothing on them to break (except Charger trick headlights) wow factor worth maintenance. DRAG RACED THEM ALL except 300. Low price leaders in their field. I never purchased highest horse power motors. Nothing here for me now. I'm miffed.

#392 ·
@Erik Latranyi @aldo90731 - in a span of 11 minutes you both entered this thread. I am continuing my conspiracy theory that you are both the same person.

Secondly, I really like the rear of that concept, especially the lines on the sides that flow into the bumper. All I ask is that they keep the racetrack LEDs in some way, shape, or form. Between the menacing DRLs and the rear LEDs, a Charger is unmistakable on the road... until you realize it was a Durango/Dart, but you get what I mean :)

#394 ·
I haven't been feeling like myself lately........LOL

But to put your conspiracy theory to rest, Aldo was the one seen on the grassy knoll in 1963........I wasn't even born yet!

#396 ·
Maybe Aldo likes me more than I think.....but I have a hot, Hungarian girlfriend and am not in the market currently.

#410 ·
The wrap around grille light was probably a built-in design element that was scrapped by bean counters. When Daimler was still in charge, the car had 4 square tail lights and I am sure many, MANY other cost cutting initiatives like the tupperware interior 06-10 cars.

#412 ·
The LED racetrack lights are simply amazing IMO. When I had the rental 2011 Charger I probably took 100+ pictures of the back of that car, and I only had it for a few days.

They look amazing (especially the new smooth light ones) and they are very visible.

Ever been behind a new F150 at night with the optional LED tail lights? There's just two little LED lines that are not that visible at all.

And speaking of Ford, they are also the ones that copy/pasted the Durango (racetrack lights and all) for their Navigator.

Reactions: DarkSky
#418 ·
Sergio has stayed put because he lacks the skill to find a viable replacement CEO - you are witnessing Iacocca all over again. Hanging on too long, old platforms etc. Look at his track record for finding brand managers for Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler - need I say more?

#429 ·
FCA is done in the car industry. Everything else is dead in the car line.
Maserati and Alfa Romeo just came out with new cars.

#439 ·
right, and the GC/Durango platform is unique to them correct?

#443 ·
It might be too late now, what with battery technology breakthroughs seeming to happen at an ever increasing pace, but.....

I wonder if FCA, in retrospect, should have tried to make a bigger push with CNG, which happens to be one of the compnay's stengths in Europe.

CNG could possibly have given FCA a chance to actually lead, instead of follow.

#450 ·
The FCA US portfolio will look like this according to my sources... and this is the last time I will post it since people seem to be too lazy to search for things anymore...

Jeep -

Renegade (BU) - will get a minor refresh for 2018 based on GM-Fiat Small platform.
Compass (MK) - brand new for 2017.5 is based on the GM-Fiat Small platform.
Cherokee (KL) - gets a refresh for 2018 including the highly awaited new front and rear styling is based on the CUSW platform.
K8 (K8) - unique styling, looks similar to upcoming 2020 Grand Cherokee is based on CUSW platform, production for China only at first. Might show up in NAFTA in 2019 model year.
Grand Cherokee (WL) - WL will replace the current Grand Cherokee (WK2) in 2020 model year it will be based on an Americanized Giorgio architecture.
Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer (WS) - this body on frame SUV will be based on the upcoming 2019 Ram 1500 DT platform.
Wrangler (JL) - all new for 2018 model year on its own chassis.
Wrangler Truck (JT) - all new for 2019 based on the JL Wrangler.

Dodge -

Charger (GD?) - next generation car debuts in 2021 model year it will be based on an Americanized version of the Giorgio platform.
Challenger (GA?) - next generation car debuts in 2021 model year it will be based on an Americanized version of the Giorgio platform.
Journey replacement - this will be a midsized CUV that is RWD/AWD based and will share a lot of things with the Alfa Romeo Stelvio including the Giorgio platform for a 2019 model year launch.
Durango (WE?) - Durango like the Grand Cherokee will be completely new in 2020 and on an Americanized version of the Giorgio platform.
midsize sedan - Dodge gave the green light to a midsize sedan that will be RWD/AWD on the Giorgio platform, we will see this sometime in 2022 or 2023.
sports car - Dodge will get a new sports car to leave off where Viper takes off (probably won't be named Viper or have a V-10), it will share a new platform with an Alfa and a Maserati.

Chrysler -

Pacifica (RU) - will get minor refresh in 2019 for styling based on a stretched version of the CUSW platform. AWD model in 2019 model year.
Full-Size Crossover (RA) - will launch alongside Pacifica in 2019 model year it is also based on a stretched version of the CUSW platform.
Mid-Size Crossover - based on CUSW Cherokee and K8, three rows of seating to help take up where Journey left off. It will launch in late 2019 model year.
Portal? - Chrysler will build a production of the portal in the early 2020s, this will be a small MPV and will more than likely also sourced from a variant of the CUSW platform.
300 (GX) - I have heard from many of my sources that 300 will live on at Brampton and will be alongside the new Americanized Giorgio based Charger and Challenger in 2021.

Ram -

Ram 1500 (DT) - all-new platform for the 1500 in 2019 model year. Ram will run production for half of the year of the current (DS) Ram 1500 for half of the 2019 model year but only select models.
Ram HD (DK) - all new chassis for next generation in 2021. Current Ram HD (DJ) gets a revision in 2018 model year.
Dakota - Depending on how the launch of the new Wrangler Truck goes, Ram could launch a new midsize pickup on the Wrangler platform with Ram specific coil link suspension and independent front suspension in 2021.
Ram ProMaster - gets updates styling wise for 2019 model year.
Ram ProMaster City - based on the GM-Fiat Small platform gets revisions in 2020 model year.

#451 ·
The FCA US portfolio will look like this according to my sources... and this is the last time I will post it since people seem to be too lazy to search for things anymore...
Thanks for posting. It is really hard to keep up with the rumors if you don't check here every day, even while searching. Last time I searched on future plans for the JGC I was seeing posts stating we'd be getting an interim WK3 until the G-US version was ready.

#460 ·
I think FCA might want to rethink not making the sub-Renegade available in North America.

As long as people don't seem to be buying traditionally styled cars quite as much these days, it would be a great idea to have something to offer which could achieve better MPG than Renegade. It could be a hedge against a future fuel price spike. And, besides.....I really think there would be a market for it.

#467 ·
Why do you think we haven't seen many new vehicles over the past few years. FCA US has a huge future plan... step one is in the process now, shuffling the plants around to make way for more vehicles... people tend not to understand how much money is being spent on it this year alone. Don't expect FCA to have huge profits this year. But they are sitting themselves up for the next decade. Another thing they put a lot of faith and we're waiting on was the election. With Trump cutting emissions and regulations that's exactly what they were hoping for switching from cars to bigger trucks, suvs, and cuvs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.