NewsBehind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No ABS or Traction dash lights

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Tim Harwood, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Tim Harwood

Tim Harwood New Member

Hi,

I have a problem with my 2005 PT cruiser Touring. On initial start up the ABS and Traction control lights do not light up on the dash and neither work when the car is driven hard, I have checked the fuse and it is ok and there are no trouble codes either also the red brake warning light comes on as soon as I go over 10mph but all the fluid and connectors are fine. Could this be complete failure of the ABS controller as all the sensors etc. seem to be OK.

2. Gerry G

Gerry G Member

Check the fuses for the ABS system, there are at least 2. The red brake warning lamp will light, for example, if the ABS lamp is burned out. So if there is an issue in the ABS system and the ABS lamp cannot be lit, the red brake lamp is turned on. Note the lamp check at start-up is a separate process and does not involve the ABS system.

What happens if you toggle the traction control switch; does the trac light turn on?

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The ABS and TRAC lights are LEDs driven by the ABS module (CAB), not bulbs. Not likely to burn out, but it or its circuit could possibly fail (rare).
    All the warning lamps should light at key-on as a safety check.
    If you just purchased the car, is it possible that the previous owner disabled the warning lights instead of repairing the problem?
    I have had cars traded in where the previous owner snipped the LED lamp leads to disable 'ck eng', ABS, TRAC, OIL and AIRBAG lights that stayed on. It was dishonest and the dealer found that it would take thou$ands to repair it (at our cost). The car mysteriously vanished the next day and I never saw it again. :D
    The red BRAKE lamp indicates a problem with the foundation brakes and could pose a road safety hazard. The red warning light is the only one required to pass a state safety inspection.
    Do you have a scan tool that is capable of reading ABS/TRAC codes? A regular engine code reader may not have the capability of reading ABS codes. Does the tool that you are using indicate communication with the ABS module?
    The instrument cluster (CCN) is also capable of storing fault codes if the warning light issue is due to a cluster issue. This may require an even more specialized scan tool to read CCN codes.
    Just to refer other readers to the previous discussion of this:
    Brake warning light stays on
    Have you tried the actual ABS and TRAC operation on loose surfaces (like crushed stone) and confirmed that they don't work?

4. Tim Harwood

Tim Harwood New Member

The traction control switch does nothing either, no indication on the dash.

5. Tim Harwood

Tim Harwood New Member

I will have a look at the cluster but don't think its there as all other warning lights come on and off as they should with the key on safety check , it's just the ABS and Trac lights that don't work which is why I thought it could be an ABS/Trac issue.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

There is actually a self-test mode for the cluster. Holding the trip odometer reset button in, roll the key to the on position. It should go through its little gauge and display dance and light all the indicators. If the ABS/TRAC lights don't light during this test, the problem is in the cluster. It may even display faults in the VFD. Write down any codes that might appear.
    Video here: