NewsState of the Hemi, 2022 • Even Demon test cars live to be broken • FCA racks in NEMPA awards

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCM issue?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by chris wilson, Apr 5, 2017.

1. chris wilson

chris wilson New Member

Hello everybody!

New to the forums and I'm hoping somebody could give me hand here. I have interesting issue..
    My 2004 PT Cruiser stalled on me a few weeks ago..I went to do the key dance (which I've done successfully many times before) nothing happens..dash lights up..but test never shows a error code or even show the "done" sign. I borrowed an OBD reader the next day and plugged it in. The car actually turned over and I saw the reader power on. About 5 min later the car stalled while I was sitting in place. Tried key dance nothing..even the OBD reader wasn't on powering on this time around.(no power to the connector?)

I tested my battery, fuses, and relays..everything looked. As of right now it's a no crank/no start..I'm guessing a bad PCM? Do the chipped grey keys have a life span?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I would check for 12 v powers (ignition and battery) and grounds at the PCM connectors and at the DLC connector first.
    The gray SKIM key is a passive RF transponder. They can fail, but don't have any particular life span. Is there a 2nd key you can try? A bad SKIM key would likely light the yellow SKIM light or red VTSS light in the instrument cluster at a no-start.
    See p. 368 for the PCM-C1 connector pin-out and p. 354 for the DLC connector pin-out here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/...2004_PL_Neon/18623-pl-powertrain_sgmldiag.pdf
    I would not condemn the PCM without further diagnosis. Since it came back to life and then died again, it sounds more like a failing connection.

djsamuel and valiant67 like this.
  3. Gerry G

Gerry G Member

Check the ground strap connections in the engine bay; there are number of them. Make certain they are corrosion free. How old is the battery; you noted you tested it but sometimes batteries test good.

4. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

In reference to what Gerry stated, remove the battery and check the grounds there on the driver side fender. This is a known problem area on the PT's, due to corrosion caused by the battery. If the vent caps leak the fumes out, they can corrode the connections and sometimes they just break off.

5. chris wilson

chris wilson New Member

Thanks fellas! I'll check the grounds. I just bought a new battery 3 weeks ago.