NewsBehind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT Cruiser engine oil pan

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mainones, Dec 28, 2016.

1. mainones

mainones Member

I have a 2001 base PT Cruiser that the oil pan oil plug bolt threads are stripped. I have also noticed the oil pan gasket looks like it is leaking. I think I will tackle replacing the oil pan. So I have three questions. Are the non-OEM replacement oil pans that are offered as good as the Mopar one? Also are the oil pan gaskets prone to leaking and need replacing? My last question is how big of a job is this? Thanks!!

2. CudaPete

CudaPete Active Member Ad-Free Member

Why not try a self-tapping oversize plug? I did this on my PT and it worked fine. Cost < $5.

Gerry G likes this.
  3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

RTV is the servicing sealer to replace pan gaskets. A real gasket may be available if you really want one (Mopar # 4777994AA).
    Make sure that the pan gasket is in fact, leaking. The oil sending unit and oil filter at the rear of the engine can leak and look like a pan gasket leak.
    You may have to clean and rinse the area to verify where the leak is coming from.

4. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

I had to replace mine earlier this year. I used Rockauto to get mine, it was pretty inexpensive considering it is aluminum and large (cost, about $100 with a new pan gasket), and also remember to get the oil filter gasket, which attaches to the pan side, think that was another $6, using the old one leaked when reassembled. It's kind of triangle shaped with two thick rubber O-rings embedded in it (so you get the right one). You can replace it in the vehicle, just remove the strut rod on the passenger side of the car, the one running forward and back right under the harmonic balancer. Really made going in and out easier, especially preventing damage to the gasket or getting debris from falling into the pan.

5. Gerry G

Gerry G Member

If the oil leak appears to be in the filter area, it may be the gasket on the oil filter mount to oil pan is leaking. I had this on an '02. As IC noted, be certain that the leak is from the pan and not another area.

6. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

Given he said the pan drain plug was stripped, pan needs to be replaced or repaired. The oversize plugs last about three or four oil changes, do it right once. Oil filter gasket is mandatory and does not come with the pan gasket, as noted from my pan change experience.

7. mainones

mainones Member

I have ordered the Mopar oil pan, pan gasket, filter adapter gasket and front lower torque strap all for under $130. I really appreciate all the replies.

dana44 and ImperialCrown like this.