NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT Cruiser reliability - how does it compare?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mkaresh, Mar 2, 2007.

1. DavidinHartford

DavidinHartford Member

I'm signed up with my 2003, but it says not activated yet.

2. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

That's because there still aren't 25 for the year signed up. Must have had someone sell their PT, because still at 23 for the 2003.

3. anchorman

anchorman Guest

I just enrolled my just-acquired (yesterday) 2004.

4. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

The 2003 is now included in the main survey. 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005 are all just a few owners short fo getting started.

For the details and to sign up to help out, go here:

Chrysler PT Cruiser reliability research

5. DavidinHartford

DavidinHartford Member

Two problems here that constantly annoy me.

Rear brakes that grind from brake dust after a few thousand miles. I think it is rediculous that the rear brakes need to be cleaned that often. And at MY expense no less! I've even had two different shops replace the rear pads as well.

Oil leaks. When the first drops started to appear on my driveway after an oil change, the dealer said it was a faulty oil sender switch. Not covered under warranty of course. Two oil changes later the problem is worse.

I love my PT Cruiser, but it is this kind of stuff that drives people to the imports.

6. djsamuel

djsamuel Active Member Level 2 Supporter

If I recall correctly, replacing the rear brake drums eliminates this problem. Apparently, the materials of the drum were changed in 2206, and after market drums, such as though available from NAPA take care of this as well. Maybe others can confirm this.

7. patricklynch

patricklynch Happy R body St. Regis driver, blissed out Plymout

Nice to know that in the 23rd Century, the PT Cruiser still gets support from Mopar! :D :) :p

8. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Two new problems have crept up in my wife's 2002:
    --bad front left wheel bearing
    --transmission fluid leaking, most likely from around the solenoid pack

Still looking to include her model year in TrueDelta's survey. So far only the 2003 is included, but most of the other years are close. Just need a few more owners to sign up for each.

Vehicle reliability research

9. djsamuel

djsamuel Active Member Level 2 Supporter

LOL! I just saw your post after 3 months!

In any case you're right, the PT will still be rumored for phase out in 2206, but Jim Press, who continues to speak at the auto shows, is non-committal and will only say Chrysler's recovery plan is still on track! :lol:

10. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We're having rear brake problems with my wife's PT. I'm assuming the shop will want to replace the calipers the next time I take it in. But maybe they just require frequent cleaning?

Right rear is only making partial contact, and it gouging grooves into the rotor. Second time this has happened.

On the research, we'll have updated results with 2-3 model years of the PT next week. Sample sizes remain marginal, so additional participants would be very helpful.

Car repair rate research

11. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've now got some results for the PT Cruiser. In terms of repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2001: 36, much better than average, appears too low to be accurate

2002: 95, about average

2003: 107, about average

In all three cases sample sizes are small, and these results are asterisked and visible only to participants on the site itself.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With more participants we can provide full results for the above years and include the others.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the PT Cruiser:

Chrysler PT Cruiser reliability comparisons

12. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

Perhaps the numbers are low because many original PT buyers treated them as quazi-collector cars, not typical daily drivers?

13. Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place. Level 2 Supporter

That could be. I know if I waited six months and (likely) paid over sticker I'd treat it with kid gloves :)

14. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Interesting theory. The guy I used to buy tires from bought an early car at a premium, and kept it garaged for years. Some of those early buyers got burned quite badly.

But then the average odometer reading is 97,400, so these cars are being driven.

Reality is that with small sample sizes like these there's a good chance of a result that's far off the mark, and the sample size is smaller for the 2001 than for the other two years. That the other two results are close together suggests that the actual repair rates are closer to those numbers.

The solution: more participants. We've got the system in place. If we can get more owners to participate, we'll provide precise results for the PT.

Car reliability research

15. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

I don't think the results are skewed from a lack of driving. I think that even though people were paying over price they were driving them because they really weren't that expensive a vehicle, but still very reliable. I don't think too many of them were saved as collector models, but then again, there were three years that were identical so it is hard to tell if the one you see is an 01, o2 or o3.