NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT Cruiser reliability - how does it compare?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mkaresh, Mar 2, 2007.

1. mad al

mad al Guest

2. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser. In terms of repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2001: 95, about average, higher than before but now consistent with...

2002: 101, about average

2003: 90, about average

2004: 152, worse than average, and likely not accurate based on results for the other three years

In all four cases sample sizes are small, and these results are asterisked and visible only to participants on the site itself.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants we can provide full results for the above years and include the others.

Chrysler PT Cruiser reliability comparisons

3. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We'll start previewing the next results to participants in about a month. Additional participants would be very helpful. 195 signed up so far. 200 soon?

Car reliability research

4. shoop2it

shoop2it Member

mine just crossed 100k miles, and only prob is the engine surges when slowing down and sometimes it kills out. no codes, and after replacing the timing belt and water pump (just did it since it was recommended, and hoping that it may fix the problem as well) and a guy at advance told me about his doing the same thing. Just told me to pull out the sensors in the throttle body, and clean em good, and do same for the throttle body and should fix it.

going to try it tomorrow, to dark outside to do now lol

5. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Any success with this? My wife's 2002 doesn't have this particular problem...yet.

199 PT Cruiser owners now signed up. A good start, but more are needed to provide precise results for all model years.

Car reliability research

6. davnau

davnau New Member

My 2007 convertible has had two problems:

1. Lower control arm bushing replaced at 30K miles.

2. Have had to replace the trim panel for the power seat switch six times, all under warranty. It's a bad design, in that getting in and out of the car normally breaks it after a few months. It's held on by only three plastic posts and they break. Non-power seat trim panel is one piece and doesn't break.

Rest of the car has been fine, at 34k miles now.

7. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Ah, yes, the control arm bushings. At least yours failed under warranty.

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through June 2008. In terms of repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2001: 97, about average

2002: 133, about average

2003: 78, about average

2004: 152, worse than average

These results aren't consistent from year to year, probably because in all four cases sample sizes are small.

A big thanks, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants we could provide more precise results and include all model years.

8. Jamspeed

Jamspeed Guest

I have a 2002 PT Limited, we got used with low miles in 2004. Only big repair I remember was AC at around 60K. We had an extended warranty thankfully! I can try to look into other minor repairs over the years, but the PT has been very reliable.

9. tpriester13

tpriester13 Guest

I added my recently purchased 2002 PT Cruiser........purchased from family member(they were second owner), so will get as accurate information as i can...

10. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

I just went over 88K on mine, did a 350mile trip one way, cruised most at 85mph through the desert, got 28.4mpg with the AC on (had my daughter with me, she likes cooler temps when driving), and have used 2 quarts of synthetic oil in the past 9,000miles.

11. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Thanks, guys.

We'll have updated results next month. Are few model years are just five or six responses short of the minimum for a full result, so additional participants would be very helpful.

Car reliability research

12. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2006: 17, better than average

2004: 142, worse than average

2003: 61, better than average

2002: 159, worse than average

2001: 88, better than average

These results are perhaps the least consistent from year to year of any model in the survey, probably because in all five cases sample sizes are small.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

13. johnsr

johnsr Guest

bought my son,s new in 2002 and havent had any problems until now , it is overheating has 108000 miles on it . had the water pump and timing belt replaced for preventive maintance , at 88000 miles . any help out their ?

14. djsamuel

djsamuel Active Member Level 2 Supporter

I would check the condition of the radiator and also change the thermostat. If the thermostat is stuck closed, or even partially closed, you will overheat.

15. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

227 PT Cruiser owners now signed up. A good start, but more are needed to provide precise results for all model years.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research