NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT Cruiser reliability - how does it compare?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mkaresh, Mar 2, 2007.

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2006: 15, better than average

2005: 38, better than average

2004: 114, worse than average

2003: 72, about average

2002: 127, about average

2001: 115, about average

With a little more data, the results more consistent from year to year this time. Still, in all six cases sample sizes are small.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

Chrysler PT Cruiser reliability comparisons

2. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Recently enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May.

Car reliability research

3. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2006: 49, better than average

2005: 71, about average

2004: 94, about average

2003: 104, about average

2002: 109, about average

2001: 91, about average

The results continue to become more consistent from year to year as the amount of data grows. Still, in all six cases sample sizes are small.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

4. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

In a couple of weeks we'll start previewing the next set of results to participants. The preview results will be updated as responses come in--for me it's like watching the results of a presidential election, only four times a year.

My focus: how many model years will we be able to cover this time around? This depends on the number of owners that participate.

To help provide the best possible information on your year:

Car reliability research

5. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Updated stats in a few days. Additional participants always helpful.

6. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2006: 69, about average

2005: 112, worse than average

2004: 103, about average

2003: 90, about average

2002: 139, worse than average

2001: 87, better than average

In all six cases sample sizes are small, though the 2004 came within a single response of the minimum sample size for a full result.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

7. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Updated reliability stats next month.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research

8. davnau

davnau New Member

An update from my posting in July, 2009 for my 2007 Convertible (N/A).

At the 50,000 mile service, I just had fixed:

1. Lower control arm bushings replaced - 2nd time
    2. Front anti-sway bar bushings replaced - 2nd time
    3. Front wheel bearings replaced - 1st time
    4. Two motor mounts replaced - 1st time
    5. Driver's side front axle seal replaced - 1st time
    6. Rear shocks leaking - both replaced

These were all covered by my Chrysler Maximum Care extended warranty - otherwise altogether it would have been close to $2000 at the dealer. Just cost me the $100 deductible.

Also replaced front brakes for first time - pads and rotors (very rusty rotors - not unusual for salt-laden Cleveland streets in the winter). Tried to purchased Mopar Value Line ceramics, but dealer told me they would be $376 just for the pads, vs. $65 for the Value Line semi-mettalics. Had them put in $55 CarQuest ceramics with lifetime warranty. With rotors, cost me $300 for the brakes, including lubing the caliper slides. Hope they cut down on the massive amounts of brake dust the factory pads generated.

All in all, to me it looks like the above are a bit unusual to happen all at once. However, Drivetrain has been rock solid and no other repairs since 34,000 miles.

It still really like the car, but the clunking noises and bearing noises until I got these fixed were pretty annoying. Thought I might have a bad motor mount or two, as the car was vibrating more than normal. I had no idea about the axle seal or bad shocks. The car is also very sensitive to wheel balance - otherwise lots of vibration the the steering wheel at 55-65 miles an hour.

Cleveland streets are in bad shape, but this has been a lot more suspension repairs than my other car, a 2005 Honda Odyssey with 120K miles that gets driven even more around town or for that matter, any other car I've owned (20+ over the years). Body, however, is fine with no signs of rust anywhere.

I'm considering looking into extending my warranty to Lifetime, if available. The 6-year, 100K mile one have have now has paid for itself, as I have had over $3000 of covered repairs, plus another $500+ in free rental cars while in for service.

9. djsamuel

djsamuel Active Member Level 2 Supporter

Wow! That's pretty extensive. Sorry to hear how much you've had to replace. For comparison's sake, my 04 PT is just over 196,000 miles. I'll update your list with mine:

1. Lower control arm
    bushings replaced - 2nd time at 192,000 but this time with Energy Suspension bushings
    2. Front anti-sway bar bushings replaced - 1st time at 75,000
    3. Front wheel bearings replaced - 1st time at 138,000
    4. Two motor mounts replaced - Never
    5. Driver's side front axle seal replaced - Never
    6. Rear shocks (not leaking) - both replaced at 165,000 miles

In addition, I changed the front struts at 180,000 miles, and both half shafts at about 138,000 miles only because I was changing the wheel bearings and fifgured I'd get those done while I had it apart. I also had to change the accessory belt tensioner at about 185,000 miles

Other than that, I still have the original exhaust, rear brakes, every part on the engine except for timing belt related pieces changed under maintenance.

You are right about the sensitivity to vibration, especially around 55 - 60 MPH.

Hopefully you'll get better reliability out of your PT. Mine has been outstanding and is still rock solid; and hopefully you'll go a while now without a major repair.

10. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2006: 98, about average

2005: 113, about average

2004: 82, about average

2003: 92, about average

2002: 166, worse than average

2001: 87, better than average

In all cases but the 2004 sample sizes are small.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

Chrysler PT Cruiser reliability ratings and comparisons

11. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2006: 96, about average

2005: 88, about average

2004: 81, about average

2003: 109, about average

2002: 198, worse than average

2001: 106, about average

In all cases but the 2004 sample sizes are small.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

12. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2008: 16, better than average

2006: 105, about average

2005: 47, better than average

2004: 86, about average

2003: 99, about average

2002: 180, worse than average

2001: 92, better than average

In all cases but the 2003 and 2004 sample sizes are small.

We'll have further updates in August and November. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

13. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated results for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

2008: 24, better than average

2006: 117, worse than average, first year of refresh

2005: 10, better than average

2004: 58, better than average

2003: 108, about average

2002: 143, worse than average

2001: 105, about average

In all cases but the 2003 sample sizes are small.

We'll have further updates in November and February. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

14. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the PT Cruiser (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

2008: 26, better than average

2006: 124, worse than average, first year of refresh

2005: 30, better than average

2004: 78, about average

2003: 104, about average

2002: 117, about average

2001: 69, better than average

In all cases but the 2003 and 2006 sample sizes are small and the stats are not precise.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. More participants needed to provide more precise results and include all model years.

15. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the PT Cruiser to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

2008: 61, about average

2006: 87, worse than average, first year of refresh

2005: 39, better than average

2004: 78, about average on stricter recalibrated scale

2003: 101, worse than average

2002: 58, better than average

2001: 85, about average

In all cases except the 2006 sample sizes are small and the stats are not precise.

We'll have further updates in February and May. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

http://truedelta.com/Chrysler-PT-Cruiser/reliability-69]Chrysler PT Cruiser reliability ratings and comparisons[/url]